Mixte frames & Carlton Courette question

M_Chavez

Senior Retro Guru
Hi All,

Now that I'm in my "steel is real" mode, I'm considering building up a mixte frame for SWMBO.
Am I right in thinking that most mixties, even with Reynolds 531 stickers will have gaspipe for everything apart from downtube & seattube? And if the main tubes are not butted, a 531 sticker ain't worth much as the bike will be almost the same as, say, a carbolite pug anyway?

A specific question about Carlton Courette - If I understand correctly, these were made by Raleigh? In which case, would they have the proprietary 26tpi threads?

Any suggestions on what to look out for on evilbay are welcome, but I imagine Mrs will be getting a much better performing frameset if I stick to a high end small square frame instead?

Thanks.

if performance matters, you'd be better off with a standard frameset rather than mixte just from a design point of view - two sets of stays will be heavier than a single top tube and the seat area might be less stiff.
the problem is, if you want retro steel, there werent many women specific frames around, so she'd be on a man's 19" (assuming she is typically proprtioned)

Thank you - yes, that's what I've been thinking. Whether there were any high performance mixte frames ever made.
Some of the ebay adverts list frameset weight as about 3.5kg o_O for a small frame.

Mrs has a do-it-all alloy & cf hybrid built by yours truly at the moment, but we were hoping to start venturing a bit further on tarmac, so I've got a few months to build a dedicated road machine.

Woz - thanks. Looks like a very nice bike. Not quite the same style as a double sloping tubes, but this way it's stiffer and lighter I guess.
I don't have a fetish for campy stuff :eek:, which makes up most of the price. (the only way I've ever run campy is via the shimergo solution with a shimmy rd & cassette). At that price one can build a new titanium&carbon fibre beauty these days:rolleyes:.
Anyway, I'll keep an eye for one of these frames on ebay - high end step-throughs do exist!

Found this one on evilbay.

Looks very nice, but the seller clearly put a decimal point in the wrong place for a frame with dented stays.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
"Nice" step-through frames do indeed exist, but finding them, especially at a reasonable price, does take some time and effort. I've found a few over the years.

This De Vos is Belgian, made with Super Vitus 971 tubing:

IMG_20190616_184137720_HDR.jpg

My most recent find: a Columbus SL Zieleman:

IMG_20220506_181236429_HDR.jpg

Mrs non-fixie's favourite, however, is this Méral. Designed by Francis Quillon, and made with unknown tubing (Camus is mentioned on the interwebs) she finds it comfortable and quick:

XN_p5TnIoPznzXDMG2dhl6tET1gD8OSYZLXs3GudA6A-2048x1536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_123649626.jpg
    IMG_20200726_123649626.jpg
    768.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Woz

Latest posts

Back