Mixte for men? Am I weird?

Meejoir

Retro Guru
Having carried out my first refurb last year on a 1987 Raleigh Equipe, my good lady was so impressed she gave me the task of doing a vintage Raleigh for her. Subsequently I sorted out an old Raleigh Rhapsody mixte frame and she uses it every day on her 6 mile commute. Having had a few spins on it, I can honestly say it's a lovely bike for getting about on.

Are there any blokes out there who ride a mixte frame? Does anyone know what'd was the biggest mixte frame Raleigh ever made (my wife's seems to be about 21")

I love the feel of a steel bike (I came to this after a succession of aluminium mountain bikes) and a vintage mixte could be the project I'm looking for. Am I a strange for even considering a mixte?!

The term "mixte" does imply a unisex frame, after all. You'll lose some of the rigidity of a design with a normal crossbar (not really an issue if you're not looking to build a high-performance racing machine), but it'll make dismounting/remounting easier and also avoid any unpleasant collisions between crossbar and family jewels (ouch)!

David

There is no need to put a 'quote' in a reply especially when its the first reply!!!!

Good man David B ;) I'd delete this post but can't :facepalm:

back in the 80's a guy came out with us for a few weeks on a mixte. He still rides now, but on conventional bikes. However his nickname "Girlsbike" (which he hates) has stuck forever.

I've noticed while out and about in Cambridge that there are a lot of blokes on mixte and other step-through these days. Either that or there are a lot of very manly-looking girls on the road these days. If you ask me, this situation was inevitable as soon as they started manufacturing gents frames with anything other than a totally horizontal top tube (!)

I guess my serious point is that there are a lot more frame styles available now than in the '70s and '80s so perhaps nobody notices or cares anymore...?

Ian Raleigh":1enyf9jg said:
There is no need to put a 'quote' in a reply especially when its the first reply!!!!

Good man David B ;) I'd delete this post but can't :facepalm:

Apologies for any egg-on-face episodes resulting from my editing! :oops:

David

pigman":35fzpppr said:
However his nickname "Girlsbike" (which he hates) has stuck forever.

I can't help but be reminded of Newman & Baddiel in History Today ("See your bike? It's a girls' bike, that is. It's for girls", etc.). ;)

David

Mixte for men? Am I weird?

This might work... ;)
Lycra.jpg

Back