Mix and match headset question

hamster

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
I'm trying to get a bombproof headset for my tandem. The extra loading means that they tend to have nasty, short lives.
The problem is that it's threaded, and decent threaded ones are gettign harder to find or pricey NOS.

Is there any reason why I cannot use the lower bearing and crown race off a threadless system with the existing (and lightly worn) threaded top race / cap assembly? Of course the stack height needs to be similar to get it all to fit together.

I can't see a reason why there would be a problem, just wanting some advice...thanks.

Don't see a problem with that. So long as the components in the bottom are all from the same model and the same applies to the top you'd be fine IMO.

You could run a deep skirt Chris King Steel Set headset, and then use the threaded upper bearing race and topcap from a threaded King. I bet King would sell you the parts specifically that you need, rather than you having to buy a complete Steel Set and then pay extra for the other parts. Contct King directly and I'm sure they'd be happy to set you up.

A Steel Set would be the last headset you'd ever buy. :cool:

Latest posts

Back