Misaligned Peugeot 753 frame - opinons

Re:

When I look at the close up side view of the drop outs, the right hand drop out appears to have been pushed forward in an attempt to line up the wheel. If you put the wheel in as far back as it will go how much straighter does it look.

The RH end is not in line with the seat stay. I can't imagine it being built like this. The angle of the drop outs does not match.

I hope your local man has a decent jig, it could show an error in the original build, just my opinion from the pictures.

Keith

Re:

Yeah the dropout slots and adjuster screws are manifestly out of parallel. The kind of 'out of parallel' that is beyond the scope of the 'string from dropout to dropout via headtube' test.

If you think of the dropout slots, viewed from the side, as being the hands of a clock, then it's like both slots should point to 'twenty seconds', but the drive side one is currently pointing to 'nineteen seconds'.

If you invert the frame, and lay a steel rule flat across the insides of the slots, I bet it will 'rock' on diagonal high points, one near the back of the drive side slot, and the other near the front of the non drive side slot.

I'd guess to put it right a framebuilder would have to re-braze the drive side dropout.

That is my diagnosis anyway..

When pushing the wheel as far back as it goes, you can clearly see the situation improving so looks like you're spot on, i can see it now when looking sideways through the drop outs. Doug Pinkerton is based near where I work so I'll see if something can be done to sort it out.
I can't imagine the frame was manufactured like this, so surely some kind of previous crash damage, its definitely resprayed so could also be a 531pro too...no doubt I'll find out and I'll keep this updated!

If you want to determine if its a 531pro or 753 then the seat post size will help you. As far as I am aware the peugeot 531pro`s had 26.2 and the 753 usually 26.6 .

thats interesting as this one is definitely 26.4 though i think the later revised frames with vert dropouts may be different again?

Re:

can't imagine the frame was manufactured like this, so surely some kind of previous crash damage,

I can't imagine a scenario where a force- accidentally or intentionally applied- could bend the dropout out of kilter in that plane, so I'd say that it must have been brazed* like that, possibly as part of a 'repair'.

ie it has slipped through somebody's 'quality control', some time in the past thirty years.

*silver soldered ?

Re:

torqueless":2ad6uj1m said:
ie it has slipped through somebody's 'quality control', some time in the past thirty years.

The Peugeot QC wasn't one of the best...

Looking at the pic of the dropouts, the non-drive side is definitely a different angle to the drive side, look at the line formed by the underside of the chainstay and the dropout - on the drive side it's a straight line, on the non-drive there is a definite angle between stay and dropout.
Try moving the hub further backward or forward in the dropouts, if at any point in the length of their slots they are symmetrical, then the wheel should fit correctly at that point (and only there).

Good framebuilder should be able to provide a good diagnosis. I do wonder what it'd be like if you wind in the adjusters so that the wheel can sit as far back as possible.

In terms of seatpost size, I get 26.4 on 2 Peugeots 531P, both 56 cm. On Peugeot 753 and 653 it is 26.8, but slightly bigger at 58 cm. Haven't got a definitive weight for a 531P frame but my 753s weigh 1747 and 1797 respectively.

Good luck.

I'm taking it somewhere tomorrow, a good frame repairer so will update on the situ, the wheel is more in alignment when the adjusters are screwed further back, but its still 'out' just less so.

Interestingly, my old 52cm 653 had a 26.4mm post.

Back