Military bike paint scheme.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

I remember seeing an MTB paint job based on the american Bell UH-1 Huey helicopter some years ago and I can't for the life of me find it. I'm wanting to get my 1999 Explosif 'Work Bike' painted up in this way. Complete with 'Heat' and 'Warning' stickers etc. Basically, I want my bike to look like a 'Huey' helicopter. the way they looked during the Vietnam war. Frame, TB P2's and stem are to be in this olive drab colour scheme, the rest will probably be black. Single speed.

Hi all

I remember seeing an MTB paint job based on the american Bell UH-1 Huey helicopter some years ago and I can't for the life of me find it. I'm wanting to get my 1999 Explosif 'Work Bike' painted up in this way. Complete with 'Heat' and 'Warning' stickers etc. Basically, I want my bike to look like a 'Huey' helicopter. the way they looked during the Vietnam war. Frame, TB P2's and stem are to be in this olive drab colour scheme, the rest will probably be black. Single speed.

I'm a big fan of that colour scheme with the military style decals too. I though this one was pretty good.....

IMG_5518.JPG

Yeah, i've found 100's of bikes with that olove drab style colour scheme but I can't find that one single picture I'll nee dto hand over to the frame builder / sprayer. I have a few brake lever / top tube dings to fill, they are barely noticable but I'm wanting to make it look like new etc. I just can't get this paint scheme out of my mind.

For that look I'd go DIY,NATO paint is cheap and goes on really well use a detail roller the thin 10mm ish ones three thin coats..neat not thinned and you'll be shocked at how good it comes out. If you spray it it wil appear more satin than Matt. whereas by hand/roller It'll have a slight texture a bit like zolatone from a Marin. It's tough paint. I did a friend's VW van years ago looked stealthy.
Black paint pen for tyre pressures etc

For that look I'd go DIY,NATO paint is cheap and goes on really well use a detail roller the thin 10mm ish ones three thin coats..neat not thinned and you'll be shocked at how good it comes out. If you spray it it wil appear more satin than Matt. whereas by hand/roller It'll have a slight texture a bit like zolatone from a Marin. It's tough paint. I did a friend's VW van years ago looked stealthy.
Hhmmm food for thought there Mickey, thanks ;-)

Interesting! Do you have a link to anyone who sells that paint? You bad,bad men are giving me ideas now....!

Interesting! Do you have a link to anyone who sells that paint? You bad,bad men are giving me ideas now....!
I got mine off eBay...just type in NATO/army surplus paint...from memory about 30 bob for 2.5 litres...youll have enough left over to hide your house😂 its spirit based so you can clean stuff up with white spirit. Use foam rollers not the fluffy ones 👍

Back