Middleburn cranks help - spider removal

Re:

Hmmm, that looks like the tool I already have though couldn't swear its shimano. No markings and black.

Looks well molested. I've never seen one like that where the lockring is totally flush with the spider.

I'm thinking the same that the lock-ring could be flipped, or even it is a Shimano one (like FC-M569 etc.) which is much thinner.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 278
Re:

Yes, it certainly isn't right. Until I get it off I won't know for sure, thats the challenge right now. I may just mod my current tool to get it off and buy a new one afterwards. Would like to buy the right tool though. Strange that the tool I have is wider and impacts the spider as well as being too wide the other way for the lock ring. Has worked on m952 and other middleburn cranks fine on many occasions.

I can't see another way forward except to make a custom tool. Vernier calipers, patience and beer will help.

Think you are on to something. I've also compared the Parktool with the Shimano:

https://activesport.co/epages/80c85f8f- ... cts/TLUN96

https://activesport.co/epages/80c85f8f- ... s/QKBBT18C

There is a revealing description:
"Note: The BBT-18 is an updated version of the current BBT-8. The outside diameter of the tool has been changed so it provides a universal fit on all Shimano and ISIS Drive eight-notch cups.+

The BBT-18 has 8 notches with an outside diameter of nominally 43.4mm. The inside-to-inside width is approximately 38mm. Each notch is approximately 3.9mm wide. The hole in the center of the casting is 22.5mm, and will not fit over the 30mm spindles."

Bought an ice tools lock ring er, tool and it fitted a treat. Some physical effort was required but got the lock ring off.

It was indeed fitted the wrong way round, wtf? Anyway, at least it is off now,

Next challenge, getting the chain ring bolts off as they are recessed and none of my tools fit. I think some tool filing is in order.

Back