Wanted Mavic Cross Max 1998 - where can I get these hub parts?

Erflstr

Retro Newbie
Hi all!
I recently bought a very lightly used pair of Mavic Cross Max rim brake wheels that I think are from 1998.
The downside is, the rear wheel is missing some parts and I'm not technically competent enough to understand what I'm looking for.

Can anyone please help me ID which parts I need, or what they're called, so that I can go hunting on eBay or look for replacement parts elsewhere?
Thanks for absolutely any and all help!

IMG_0368.jpg image001.png IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0364.jpg

Original spares have not been available for sometime, but this guy offers a lot to rebuild those; blast him a message:

https://www.ebay.com/str/thehubdoctor

Or look for a complete donor hub which come up for sale from time to time.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Original spares have not been available for sometime, but this guy offers a lot to rebuild those; blast him a message:

https://www.ebay.com/str/thehubdoctor

Or look for a complete donor hub which come up for sale from time to time.
Thank you, thats a great tip! I’ll contact him. Fingers crossed!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Easiest way is to find a hub as mentioned. These crack around the eyelets so wait a little and a wheel will come up cheap.

Easiest way is to find a hub as mentioned. These crack around the eyelets so wait a little and a wheel will come up cheap.
Thanks!

Would I have to find the exact same hub or are there other brands or aftermarket parts that I can use to have the wheel rebuilt?

You are fairly limited to the same hub. As said above, it's usually the rims that fail so sometimes people will sell a broken complete wheel for spares / repair, or they have gone to the trouble themselves to sell the hub and spokes individually.

The link I posted earlier is the only person I know making new 3rd party parts to keep these hubs running; I've bought from him many times.

I don't fully understand your pictures; the first shows a missing axle, dust-caps, skewers, freehub and pawls; but later pictures just show missing axle and skewers with a cassette presumably mounted on a complete freehub?

I have a couple of these hubs that I bought for spares. They have bits missing too but if they can be of use, I'll dig them out, grab some pics and you can see if anything is of use to you.

Reactions: Woz
I don't fully understand your pictures; the first shows a missing axle, dust-caps, skewers, freehub and pawls; but later pictures just show missing axle and skewers with a cassette presumably mounted on a complete freehub?
The cassette was not actually installed, it was just loosely placed on the wheels when I got them. I have one skewer with dust caps that fits the front wheel, but rear wheel looks like this (new photos)

I'll contact the "hub doctor" today :)

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0404.jpg