Mavic Blue rims 70’s 80’s

Old gh bug

Devout Dirtbag
In the very early 80’s I managed to get a set of Mavic blue rims I was led to believe that these were only available to Pro’s I think the reason that I got them was that my father had a bicycle shop and built a lot of wheels and also built some for a few pro riders.
I would love to try and get another set but not sure how scarce they are.
We’re thes titanium?
Thanks Garry

Not titanium but a very hard alloy, think they were heat treated. You could buy them but they were unbelievably expensive for the time. I built up a few pairs - a couple for national squad riders and a set for a 'all the gear - no idea' club rider. Pretty certain they were superseded by the SSC 'Grey' rims.

I had 2 pairs in 1980, SSC blue one 32x32 one 28x28. The rims were about 13 ounces but very strong. They were original equipment on 2 "Moser" team bikes built by De Rosa, full Campagnolo titanium group.
I did get a dent in one when I was chopped into a pothole by a passing car and didn't quite jump across it. I managed the fix it with some hardwood blocks I made.
I was told they were a heat treated alloy of aluminium anodised.

Keith

I had a set of SSC blues on a Grandis. Expect to pay £300-£550 for a pair if in good condition and built up with quality hubs (Mavic 501/550 or Record/Chorus). Difficult to come by either built up or as used rims. Personally I prefer the MAVIC Gel 280s, but have only seen in grey.

Ssc Greys were always meant to be more durable and more expensive. But they looked like gp4s. Blues were sexier and more exclusive

I’ve an unused pair of Mavic Gold SSC’s which are I suspect even rarer 🙂 & they are as with blues & greys nicely heat treated Alloy. 👍

Back