Marzocchi Shivers DC - advice please

Roasted

Kona Fan
I'm getting some parts together for a downhill bike build and got myself a cheap pair of Marzocchi Shiver DC. They also came with a whole bike, a 2004 Norco Shore, not sure if I'll use this frame yet though.

They look to be in quite good condition over all but the bike they were on was left outside for over a year. They are missing the guards and one of the adjustment screws on top has broken.

I'll need to give them a service but I've never serviced a fork before. Is it easy to do and what oil and amount do I need?

I might be able to live with the broken adjustment screw but will look out for a replacement cartridge. It's annoying as some just finished on eBay but let me know if you have one.

I'd like to get the guards but they are very hard to find. Has anyone made replacements, if so, how did you do it?

I'd like to get a direct mount stem, are the holes a standard spacing? Please let me know if you have a suitable one?

20220410_205009.JPG

20220410_205030.JPG

Skf MTB35M green seals are amazing for the shiver. Stock oil is golden Spectro 125/150. A quart will be more than enough, also slickoleum to pack grease into the void between the dust & oil seals is highly recommended. Just did a rebuild with the stuff above, zero stiction.

Oil quantity: http://marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.com/p/oil-quantitys-and-levels_858.html?m=1

For the adjuster you might just want to try and slot it, just enough to turn, finding a damper may be expensive and difficult

Last edited:
That's excellent information, thank you. I was thinking about cutting a slot in the adjuster as a temporary solution, some cartridges sold on ebay last month for £50 the pair so the do come up for sale occasionally.

Heads-up on the direct-mount stem thing, Marzocchi used their own bolt pattern in those model years - left-to-right they're the same as your standard Boxxer/Fox/whatever, but front-to-rear the Marzocchi has the bolts spaced closer then the other brands. I found this when I got a RaceFace stem for my Drop-off Triples, what bums me is there was a Giant adjustable-reach stem available for just a bit more money and that would have worked cause the slots would have compensated for the odd spacing. So if you can't find the proper Marzocchi stem it ain't the end of the world, just be careful as to what you're getting, best ask the seller/vendor for some measurements.

Skf MTB35M green seals are amazing for the shiver. ... Just did a rebuild with the stuff above, zero stiction.

I'm analysing Marzocchi seals for years and I personaly don't aggree regarding the SKF 35mm dust seal.

When SKF took over the Marzocchi seals production from NOK und started production of the Marzocchi 35mm seals, they simply droped the Marzocchi developed well proven dust seal design with the 2 lips. Ure, the material is good, but from the geometry they droped it to a single lip and simplified seal.

I believe they did this, because at that time the friction thing was discussed like a 'hype god' thing and without the 2nd lip the seal is cheaper.. Surely friction was good than, but protection a against mud and water went worse. Keep in mind FOX is no technology or high development company like Marzocchi was, they simply buy all they need.

Not saying you're wrong, but the green SKF's are far superior to any other seals IMHO. Love em on Marzocchi, love em on Rockshox.... Never had issues with dirt or water ingress. Remember you have the oil seals as a dual lipped backup & should have plenty of Slickoleum packed between the dust & oil seals to catch anything that makes it through.

While zero stiction isn't a necessary trait of seals I do prefer it. And I will stand firm by my opinion even if I only have the feel of my fork as my proof :) The previous black replacement seals I had installed on a shiver felt like crap, notchy and stayed notchy even with fresh grease between the dust & oil seals. No thank you

Surely you need to put grease in all over using the SKF 35mm dust seal. But than the dust seal has not taken it's job seriously and you don't need it.

... The previous black replacement seals I had installed on a shiver felt like crap, notchy and stayed notchy even with fresh grease between the dust & oil seals. No thank you
Thats a well known thing happen, if you use old 'bricked' seals.

They were only a few seasons old, my rockshox seals only 1 season. Both improved greatly from the SKF seals. Marzocchi did recommend packing the void between the dust seals and oil seals liberally with grease every 50 hours.

That being said, what you've done with your business is nothing less than impressive. New Europe based seal production for the first gen Marzocchi forks.. massive props.. 30 & 32mm seals competing against enduro & ARI... Awesome! The website looks great, literally the only "one stop shop" for any Marzocchi build. Seal drivers look amazing, it's just awesome

I just get a little upset, because sometimes it seems like you can portray competing products as inferior. As a "newer" business it's a better look to praise (give credit where credit is due) before you criticize. Especially when a good portion of your customers may have had experience with competing products. SKF makes great seals (obviously my personal preference), Enduro, might have had a rough reputation a decade ago, but they make a good product. By all means explain why your product is better, but don't step on others to lift your product up.

Rant over, I'll see myself out.

Surely you need to put grease in all over using the SKF 35mm dust seal. But than the dust seal has not taken it's job seriously and you don't need it.

Thats a well known thing happen, if you use old 'bricked' seals.

Last edited:
I just get a little upset, because sometimes it seems like you can portray competing products as inferior. ...

That's a reflex which happens sometimes by user, but is not that fair. It happens when users thinks it is a 'business post' about 'money making'.
I'd like to have an open discussion, that's why I'm posting this details into a thread if somehow usefull.

And I did not say SKF is bad, but I simply described a single notably geometry change in details of SKF dustseal and added my personal experience about this (after >2000 fork services and years of analysing seals) - as a normal forum user. Nothing more or less. And I'm not the only one which have the same experience for sure. Everyone can take it or leave it.

I can tell you, my focus is not about busines in main. You can not be seriously competetive against Ariete, Enduro, Athena, Paramid and other 3rd party seller like FullFactory , but I was simply piss## off, when FOX dropped Marzocchi support in THAT ####### way.
Being a technican I know that all problems can be solved and that's what I did with the seals - just to make my motivation clear.

Thanks for the open discussion, have a nice day riding an older Marzocchi! 🤙👍🎈

Peace.

Last edited:
I have now got a stem for the forks, 2 genuine Marzocchi stems popped up on eBay but I didn't really like the look of them and let them go. I decided to get an adjustable reach stem which fits perfectly and was £20 cheaper than the Marzocchi. Just have to use a nut and bolt to fix it to the fork.

Next month I'll get some seals and oil and finish servicing them.

Still on the look out for a replacement cartridge and guards. Let me know if you have some to sell.

Back