Martelly neo-retro winter project

Flandria

Retro Guru
Hi all,

Last winters project was the restoration of a 1984 Colnago super frame combined with a modern Athena 11sp groupset. Pictures of the result can be found here: pedalroom.com/bike/colnago-su­per-1984-22912. I enjoyed the restoration and the build and especially the miles that I put on the bike in spring/summer afterwards. Classic looks, modern functionality. New winter, so new project and another neo-retro build!

A few months ago, I got my hands on a Martelly bike for next to nothing. Martelly is a Belgian brand of steel bikes, built by Eddy Martens. Not a fancy name international, but they built some great quality frames. They are still going strong by the way, building custom steel frames: martelly.be.

This is how I picked up the bike:

dP7NFLR.jpg

cAxaBhS.jpg

P8obx1l.jpg

9DsNeJJ.jpg

QTnVAZe.jpg

Xn43bUj.jpg

dtsQKhY.jpg

Quality frame build from Columbus SL tubing. Nice chrome forks in great condition with Martelly engraving. Also a nice fully chromed rear triangle, cinelli spoiler bracket,number hanger, ... Cool frame, made to be raced.

Decided to go for a full restoration. Frame is at a framebuilder/painter now: he will add a second bottle holder bosses and cable guides for the front shifters. New colour will be light-metallic blue-ish, with yellow Martelly logo's and details.

Because I wanted painted logo's on the bike, I decided to provide my painter with self-made negatives made with a vinyl cutter. Here they are:

http://i.imgur.com/DFv55AN.jpg

Frame will be build up with a Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed group and will get modern wheels, carbon seatpost and if possible carbon forks.

HSzCYps.jpg

Will try to update this topic regularly with fresh pictures, questions and more!

220kestrel":qsnf3mke said:
Classy looking frame.
Not sure about carbon forks though.
Kerry

Me neither, will decide when frame is back if i go carbon or chrome steel. In any case, I'll stick with a Nice gray anodised quill stem!

Back