Marin ti frame 1990 15 inch unicorn

No matey, it was for sale in Middlesbrough. My mate bought it.

That one you’ve pointed out is another friends Frameset :D .

Thanks

In my opinion that steel one on eBay is rather optimistically priced, particularly having not removed the rust spots! Perhaps around 1/2 that on a good day..

This ti looks lovely by the way, glws

Re:

Thanks Baj - I’ve had it since the early 90s and it was a smooth high-speed thing. But I started another big burst of bike builds when my son (at 10) started mountain-biking seriously - and with so many bikes being built now I need the space

Re:

The eBay Marin Team Titanium frame which sold cheaply recently did not have the usual serial number on the bottom bracket tube. The seller told me it was not there. It has only 4 numbers on the dropout. I found this very weird and decided it was just too risky to bid. Personally I would not touch any frame without a genuine serial number. The question is. Do early Marin Team Titaniums not have the usual alphanumeric serial on the bottom bracket shell?

Regret you might have missed a bargain. Early Marins ti-s like mine were Litespeed-made - unlike the first series which were made by Merlin and all cracked - and the four digit on the rear dropout is a Litespeed thing. Mine is authenticated by Litespeed as 1990 small batch. See photo above. Do you recall what number the ‘cheaply sold;’ one had? What size was it and did it have the seatstay mounted U brake or normal cantilevers on the rear?

Re:

Why do you say that? Did it have the Litespeed two or three hole dropouts? What was it that made it dodgy? Just referring to your earlier post where you said ‘ebay for 749...’ are you referring to your friend having bought a dubious frame...or did he buy a different one from ebay? Bit confused.....

Re:

That’s a shame. Where was the crack - usual Merlin seattube crack? Was a it a Merlin or a Litespeed or a Marin one? Again, if it had the four digit number on the dropout then it was most likely litespeed - do you know the serial number - it would help people here with provenance cataloging. Did it have two hole or three hole dropouts? I haven’t heard of a single Litespeed Marin cracking.

Re:

This was the Marin Team Titanium that was recently on eBay. Seller informed there was no serial number on underside of BB tube. Just a 4 number code on rear drop out. No mention of any cracks by seller. What put me off bidding was the lack of frame serial number. Buyer also did not know much about the bike and suggested the XTRM900 on the cranks could be serial number :)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4094751886

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back