Marin "team issue" , Model year & value?

Aku007

Retro Newbie
Hi!

I'm new to this forum, but I'm wondering if somebody could help me estimate the model year of my Marin bike and its current value.

IMG_20230521_163723.jpg

The original bike parts, as I understand it, has a frame, rims and transmission at least.

IMG_20230521_163802.jpg

IMG_20230521_163818.jpg
IMG_20230521_163838.jpg

Thank you in advance for your answers!

-Sincerely, Aku007 ✌️

Hello and welcome.

Not sure what to make of it. It’s like no Marin Team Issue that came from the factory.

It could be resprayed as the decals and head badge are reproductions. Naturally the big dent in the top tube doesn’t help. The early team issues were nickel plated and were silver in colour.

The parts are not team issue as they were top of the range. You have a mismatch of early parts; mid range circa 1990/1991

I’d say about £150 as a punt.

Decals are 94 but the frame is completely resprayed. Controls are 90/91.

Frame number will help date the frame it has an original 93 /94 headset

I like the colour, but as Matttymm said, parts are (mostly) <1993, decals are later version, and the colour doesn't match.

Would just point out that it might be good to check if the frame is OK, the angle of the fork in the first picture doesn't look right to me. It quite likely might be the angle of the photo + skinny tires. Anyway, the fork angle looks slightly bent to me, and both top tube and down tube don't look straight, I mean they seem slightly bent like 10 centimetres from the headtube, on both photos where the tubes are visible.

Could be the angle of the photo, sorry if it is the case, just check them carefully, please. Measuring it with a pencil and the screen feels like it was crashed, hope it is just the photos.

Thanks for all the help already!

I will take better pictures of the bike tomorrow and check the frame serial number.

The Team Issue 94 was the last nickel coated and was prone to rust. It would have had Shimano XTR M900.

My guess is that it’s a resprayed 94 with original stem and headset and reproduction decals. No real reason to keep those components otherwise.

Everything else is earlier, notably the chainset and derailleurs (92/93). Thumb shifters are earlier too.

Brakes look unbranded - low cost.

Wheels look like Mavic rims but worn.

Hopefully the frame is not too shot.

Back