Marin team Issue Issues. I need help.

madjh

98+ BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
I´m restoring .... :LOL: ... well, I´m really cleaning a Team Issue form 1996.

The bicycle comes with a awfull 70º stem and I need to change to the stock one, but I don´t know the length of the original stem. Could it be a 110mm stem? ANSWER: IT IS 105MM

file.php

The other thing are the chain rings ... The japanese White industries cranks are really goood looking. I would like to put some TA specialites but I don´t know the BCB, the chainrings has not that number and I don´t find the TA chinook in 5 arms. what is the BCB of that chain rings?

ALL SOLVE.

Re: Marin team Issue Isues. I need help.

TA Zephyr is 110mm pcd; they generally go for quite strong money.
The TA Alize road triple is 130mm pcd it's usually cheaper for reasons which I don't understand but works nicely as a 24/38/48 ring set.

Generally you can find a nice White / Sugino crank set for under £50 - there are a lot of chancers asking big money but they generally don't sell! Sold mine for £25 IIRC and replaced it with an Alize on my tourer.

Re:

Thank you for the answer. If I don´t find the proper chainrings, I will put the old ones, they are in good shape but the TA looks very nice.

The stem goes with the size, in the size chart comes 15.5" is 105mm and for the 17.5 is 135mm. I think mine is a 15.5" despite it looks large. Very rare sizing. I can barely ride a 17.5" Marin, all my modern bicycles are 17-18". http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... b.jpg.html

I don´t understand the sizing of Marin. The 17.5" measures 47cm so it is a 18,5 in total and the 15.5 is near a 17" ... it is about 16,7" wich is perfect for me. In this era, you cannot test the bicycle so if you take the size chart you can buy the wrong size.

And the logo. I think I have made something wrong with the logo. I know the traditional headtube badget, this one and I like a lot:

file.php

But now I have doubts. In this photo there is annother logo. And I think it is like mine (I´m not at home). I don´t like how it looks, it looks old and burn by the sun, but perhaps it isn´t. They have made annother logo in 1996? I like the old one :facepalm:

Marin_1996_04_rb.jpg

Lot of years trying to buy a Marin and now I ´m starting to understand that brand. :)

Marins size centre to centre of top tube, many others to centre to top of seat tube. So they always come up larger than the numbers suggest.

They fiddled around with logos and house style every year after they completely lost the plot (from around 1996 in my view). Before that they had a simple quarter wheel and logo.
images

Yes, they lost the way in 1996, that is why I bought this model. In 1996 I bough a Rock Rider 500 (very nice bicycle for the money with the STX-RC) in grey, similar looking than the Marin Pine mountain- Team Issue and the Scott Pro Racing 1995 with the nice steel frame in grey too.

After 1996 -1997 many brands lost their way. Kona, Marin, Megamo and so on.

medium_Pro-Racing-Judy.jpg

Back