Marin Suspension Forks

Mark65

Retro Guru
Hi all,
I picked this 17.5 (18 to top of tube) inch Marin Eldridge Grade up today and its in great condition with all original receipts and paperwork from 1998, my question is the Manitou Spyder Forks have a small amount of play when the brakes are applied, so does any one know if its just the bushes and can it be sorted or should I be looking for a set of Rockstar rigid forks for it, I thought if its just bushes can they be removed and shimmed with a strip of a pop can behind them?, or could it be the seals.

Oh and I have a copy of the Marin Catalogue for 1998, if I scan it at work who would I send it to to add to the archives.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• Marin.jpg
    Marin.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Are you 100% sure it's not the headset that's the cause of the play?
Forks look in remarkably good condition on the outside, often battered exterior and worn internals go hand in hand, not so often the other way around.

Very nice bike by the way 👍🏻

Hi, thanks, I will check but the previous owner says not but the diatech seems to have a bad reputation when I look it up, the forks are actually like new considering, thanks, I still prefer rigids, If it is the forks I would think a service kit if available is prolly more than they are worth.

Mark

Last edited:
Along with the headset as a possible cause of ay (check the preload, loosen the stem bolts and give the top cap bolt a check, but don't go mad and overtighten. Bolt it all back up and check), it could also be play in the brakes. You can check this by hand, simply rock them forward and rearward to see if there is excessive play. A tiny bit is necessary or they wouldn't pivot.

Hi, I believe the diatech headset relies on a wedge system so there is no stem bolt or star nut. I think the seller did say when the brakes are on you can see the movement between the seal and fork leg. I've been looking to see if I can get parts but no luck so far.
Maybe a set of F7 forks 😬

I picked this 17.5 (18 to top of tube) inch Marin Eldridge Grade up today
Nice, i had the same one in smallest size for a while, reserved for my kids, but this moved on meanwhile.
20210529_124758.jpg

a small amount of play when the brakes are applied
I also would recommend to carefully check if the suspension fork is indeed the cause of this.

The Manitou Spyder is not a great fork, but it terms of durability a bit better than earlier Mach5.
If MCU/elastomer dampers are broken there should be rather just a play for moving the bike/fork up and down.

Oh and I have a copy of the Marin Catalogue for 1998, if I scan it at work who would I send it to to add to the archives.
Ah, that's interesting too. Is this this strange leaflet or poster? I've found a few pictures of it, but hard to read.
Please scan and share! Thanks.

Hi , no its the full catalogue, I received the original bill of sale from 98 (Mike Cookson Cycles), data tag, a bunch of Marin free service certs, user manual and other bits when i collected the bike, 1 owner from 98 to 2020. I forgot to bring it this morn but will next week, only in one day a week.

Hi, Does any one know whether the newer forks such as RockShox 30 Silver TK Coil Fork will work on the older bikes or theres a few of the Marzocchi Z4`s still for sale.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back