Marin Pine Mountain 1990(?)

Re:

Is it part of a road group though?

I'm not sure. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, I don't think there was that much difference on earlier components. Later, the MTB stuff tended to have better/more seals, particularly on things like hubs.

My early Deore II hubs have tiny little rubber seals in the hole of the metal dust cap, whereas later Shimano hubs had a rubber dust cap/seal that extended over the spacers and lock nut.

Re:

Yes, go with it. Some road kit is built more tactile.

I'm sure some fat chance models had the 600 headset as per spec.

I use road/hybrid cassettes where possible, if i can get 11/12-28/30.

Re:

Woohoo! Sorted! Spare brand new race found in LBS parts drawer for £2!

Fits perfect and silky smooth. Phew! Just need to finish cleaning up the front mech, reassemble and fit the o rings when they get here. I reckon a Sunday outing could be on the cards!

Thanks loads to everybody for their help and advice. I'll get you some pics up when she's done.

A bit worried about size now though, 15.5" is pretty small...

Re:

Well it's all finished. Runs beautifully but there just isn't enough leg room for me sadly. Also as it's so original I'm a bit loathe to start swapping parts out. Sadly stuck it on the 'bay this afternoon. Having seen some of the amazing bikes on here I reckon I'll use the funds to build something a bit special and unique. Something I can stick a lot of purple on!

I started mountain biking around '94 so something around this era would have a bit more meaning for me. I originally posted on here with the sole purpose of finding out a bit of info about this bike but I will hold you all equally responsible when my bank account empties/ shed fills up!

Many thanks again to all who gave me advice. As soon as I decide on my first real project I'll get it straight on here with proper pics!

Back