For Sale Manners…

Some sellers on here could do with some manners too, offering something for sale, and many hours after I had said I would like to buy them, posting that they had sold on FB... No mention in the ad that they were advertised elsewhere...

Some sellers on here could do with some manners too, offering something for sale, and many hours after I had said I would like to buy them, posting that they had sold on FB... No mention in the ad that they were advertised elsewhere...

Guessing this is aimed at me.

You seem really sour about it for some reason to have posted again as I let your last comment go but I’ll respond to this one for shear entertainment.

Not that I’ve got to explain myself on who I choose to sell a item to but here goes …

I was asleep from when you posted saying you wanted the brakes and when I woke up I checked my messages this morning.

I sold them to the person who asked first. This is the fairest way of doing it in my opinion. Happy to be corrected?

And yes most people don’t just advertise items on here. Believe it or not RB isn’t the only place people talk and sell parts.

For me as a recent member of the forum two things stand out about the majority of transactions that take place.
- trust - is fairly quickly given even to new members and that’s rare on the internet these days
- respect - if I enquire about a item for sale and the seller says sorry too slow, I respect that and move on. If I don’t get any response and they’ve clearly been on the site they lose a little bit of respect from me and I don’t bother asking next time. It’s just courtesy on their part, but I respect that people have jobs, commitments and busy lives.

As for manners I must say that all the buys and sells I have done have been polite and in many cases kind. I’ve probably bought a lot more than I’ve sold but never had a problem.

People write in different ways but a cheers or thanks is a minimum on a private message isnt it?

I have nothing but good things to say about each and every one of you.

But especially those who sold me something I really, really wanted!

And had to deal with all my bullshit besides.

I find retrobike probably the most courteous place I've been in ages.....that includes physically and virtually!

If you want appalling manners try facebook!

One guy could not even be bothered to read the model off the back of a derailleur for me! :LOL:

I do wonder if a lot of our online manners comes from our age? "When i were young" the only way to troll somebody or be rude was basically to their face. Now we have 2 generations able to be as rude as they like with limited risk of a punch in the face!

Oh you brave keyboard warriors, keep up the rudeness, it gives me something to rail against!

Also, is it partly our perception of a " rude" response due to the falling vocabulary level of younger people?

In a world where reading books has been replace by reading posts, no wonder the younger generations are hardly wordsmiths!

Getting binary responses to questions " yes mate / no mate / dibs etc" seems inevitable.

Gone are the days of letters to the times and eloquence of speech......especially replying to a " for sale" post!

My students get nothing without the above. It works. They now prompt each other if one forgets. And this is up to 16 year olds. Expectations are key.

Back