Manitou hardtail

Can I ask - do you see the headset ream and fitting of reducer cups as a reason not to buy?

As I understand it - from a very reputable source - the Manitou headtube is prone to cracking as the headtube had no chamfer to reduce stress and the factory finish made the alu more brittle. Therefore, a chamfer on the headtube, a groove in the reducer/headset cups and you've got a headtube that is way better than original.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. Is there a precedence for this mod on these frames? Have you seen any that have been altered this way? I’ve seen frames messed with before and been lead to believe that work carried out is good only to find it isn’t. It’s only my opinion, it’s up to the individual to decide. Getting cynical in my old age, maybe. Good luck with the sale.

Nail on the head (tube) 👍

If FTW, DB and Dan Chambers recommend it, then it's hardly a negative.
Having owned maybe 8 manitou HT's (still have 3) and 5 or 6 manitou FS 's I would always choose to run reducer cups if possible.
Looks like I stand corrected.

From my point of view, if I were in the market for a Manitou, I would see the headtube work as a positive - in as much as we know that they are fragile and this work makes them more likely to last a bit longer.
That said, I would ask who did the work and I’d probably know the answer :)

I don’t claim to be an expert - I didn’t read all there was about headtube stresses - it gave me a headache and made me tear my hair out 🤣

Back