Manitou 4 strip down question

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
In the process of a strip down of a Manitou 4.

Legs are off , crown removed , elastomer stack and adjusters removed etc.

Struggling to work out how to remove the last part which is the rods which are inside the lower stanctions.

I’ve removed the lower bushing which is circled. But how does the rest come out of the stanction ?

ADD4A139-B228-4F4A-AF97-C2610EAE3D95.jpeg

Out the top if memory serves. Shouldn't be to hard. Check the elastomer at the bottom of the station is also out after that, I've two sets where it melted into position.

Once you removed the dust cap and seal + security rings, simply pull them out with force. Most likely, there are melted 2nd or 3rd stage elastomers which stick it all together like glue! It can be hard to pull them out sometimes.

This is maximum disassembly below. The metal inserts in the stanchions are not removable. They are epoxied in as the the dropouts are epoxied to the lowers. Be sure to use only 100% silicone grease as any petroleum will turn your elastomers to goo.
74F96941-3F14-4CAA-9237-5AFFE3281284.jpeg 23B85572-BE9D-4212-AF0B-6D9E05B1ADF0.jpeg

As above, the elastomers inside the stanchions can get stuck.

Easier to pull out the stanchion from the lower leg and then you can push the rods up and out the stanchion.

First pic is stanchions with rod still stuck in, second pic the rods after pushing out with left over elastomer inside.

aaa1.jpg aaa2.jpg

There is a very easy way if its stuck: Take a heat gun and heat the aluminum of the lower part of the lower stancion. The surface of the melted elastomers will melt again (like candle wax). Its much easier to pull it out then. It will leave even more mess and horror inside the stanchions, yes. But I like to clean them to almost new anyway whenever I restore a Manitou. It doesnt matter. Its a dreadful hoffic job everytime again anyways.

Latest posts

Back