Answer Manitou 4 project

DesertRyder

GT Fan
I picked up this Manitou 4 fork as a project.
Answer Manitou 4.jpg

Started to tear down after work tonight. Upper elastomers don't look terrible but are a bit sticky from lube maybe? I didn't get the snap rings out for the lowers because it got too dark and, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I'll go at it again tomorrow when I have better light.
Nice "stuff" oozing out of the bottom. Elastomer lube or melted elastomers?
Answer Manitou 4a.jpg

Answer Manitou 4b.jpg

I picked up this Manitou 4 fork as a project.
View attachment 753662

Started to tear down after work tonight. Upper elastomers don't look terrible but are a bit sticky from lube maybe? I didn't get the snap rings out for the lowers because it got too dark and, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I'll go at it again tomorrow when I have better light.
Nice "stuff" oozing out of the bottom. Elastomer lube or melted elastomers?
View attachment 753663

View attachment 753664

Looks like oil/lube coming from the bottom, had same when I stripped mine the other week.

Looking at the top elastomers the bottom ones should hopefully be in as good a condition. @johndeverill is a good source of elastomers for these though hopefully you shouldn't need any.

Hard to discern if the goo is melted elastomers or lube, however, the sticky elastomers are an indication that they are deteriorating from exposure to petroleum-based lube. The stack height does look somewhat short; the stack should be about 10mm from the bottom of the skewer not the ~20mm shown in Post#1.

It is advisable to replace the elastomers with the set identified above, or from SuspensionForkParts. Additionally, use only pure silicone grease for the assembly, never a petroleum-based grease.

Unless you're over 210 lbs or intend to abuse the forks with big drop-offs, I suggest a "medium" grade elastomer kit to yield a reasonably comfortable ride.

There's a pic here for a fresh set of elastomers installed before final assy: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/elastomer-question-for-manitou-4-experts.452087/

Bright and sunny out and 98*. Took the rest apart today. The dust seals under the C-clip just crumbled so I'll need 2 new seals as well as the new elastomer kit. No bumpers on the bottom end. Still need to clean the insides of the lowers.

Answer Manitou 4c.jpg

Answer Manitou 4d.jpg

Last edited:
Not your only option, but one-stop-shopping;

New seals, but some of the guys in [Europe] found a cheaper option:

You'll 10 in total (you have 4 currently between the yellow elastomers):

Elastomer kit with lube:

Not your only option, but one-stop-shopping;

New seals, but some of the guys in [Europe] found a cheaper option:

You'll 10 in total (you have 4 currently between the yellow elastomers):

Elastomer kit with lube:

I'm in the USA so a "cheaper option in Europe" probably isn't for me ;)

Thanks about the spacers. I wonder where the 3 large elastomers came from. Maybe a kit from way back when....🤔

You know how vintage parts go..running down the money rabbit hole on these Manitous.
Luckily my initial investment was only $20.

Back