Maguras Bleed Attempt. Night 1.

jez-4-bikes-max":128fwmnn said:
Its the challenge!!

I never take things for professionals to do!

lol :LOL:

:LOL: I've been were you are. The carpets were never the same :shock: nor my stress levels :(
But soon felt so much better a morning left with the shop. Plus haven't had to touch them since in over 2 years. Just new blocks on the back :D

Turn the lever upwards so the bleed screw is at its highest point then take either the caliper off the bike or place it as low as you can. Then use the biggest syringe you can filled to the brim with your fluid of choice (mines WD40). Take out the screw on the caliper and fit your full syringe, Then remove the bleed screw from the lever and attach a length of tube to the lever and dip the tube in a pot of fluid. press the syringe in a steady motion until bubbles stop coming out of the bleed nipple end. Once its running neat and bubbless keep the syringe in position and remove the bleed tube from the lever and refit the bleed screw.

Takes a good 2 - 3 goes before you'll get it right

I agree it's best to take the whole lot off. Gravity is your friend here as this gets the air bubbles to float their way out.

I tape the top (calliper) to a shelf, and fit the bleed tube to the calliper and into a clean jar. I then push the fluid into the lever at the bottom (fit a hose union to get a good seal), but keep the syringe upright to ensure any air in the syringe stays out. Above all make sure that the adjusters are wound the right way. The first time it's counter-intuitive the way they go.

The good thing is that you only have to do this job once every 10 years. So overall it's way less time than fiddling with cables, V's and canties.

In my situation and cos its a Pace rc100 with the "looped" cable stops I cant just take off the unit and work on it - it has to be attached to the bike :(

I think Where I'm going wrong is not using a pot/container to collect the oil in (creating an airless circuit) and also not having the bike in a vertical position (which seems to make sense having the lever a lot higher than the caliper)

Aaah. Awkward.

Yes, the pot to collect is vital. It allows you to keep pumping oil through as usually there will be a string of small (2-3mm) bubbles. When you get the whole exit tube free of bubbles you can be fairly sure it's good and airless inside.

My exit tube (!!!) was bubble-less though when I did it for the fourth time last night.

What I'll do is try it all again tonight and if it still refuses to work its bike shop time...

Mmmm.... :LOL:

The nice man in the bike shop at Afan put hope bleed nipples in mine when he bled them for me. Works a treat now just attach a short, or long length of hose to the nipple, pop the end in a pot of oil, crack open the nipple and pump away.

Back