Magura Louisa bleeding

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm currently struggling with weak Google-Fu and can find only limited help about how to bleed/fill these things. I'm also not ruling out the possibly I'm an idiot. Let's just go with that

Vids>Pics>words

Ta v much

Well, I haven't got any pictures either but basically you set the lever so that the reservoir is horizontal and then remove the cap.
Remove the bleed screw in the caliper and connect the bleed adapter and hose (I use the same one as for Magura rim brakes) and fill a syringe with mineral oil (Magura Royal Blood if you're fussy, Citroen LHM if you're not) and push this through the system, drawing off overflow at the lever using a second syringe.
When you're not getting any air coming through replace the reservoir cap and then remove the bleed adaptor and replace the grub screw (you have to be quick so you don't lose fluid).

Check to see if you have any sort of decent lever feel - if you do, all well and good, if not you might have to repeat the procedure. It sometimes helps if you pump the pistons out a bit before bleeding and then, as a final step, push them back to their operating position.
It also helps to tap the brake lines to dislodge air bubbles and also to give the lever a few quick flicks to shift air in the master cylinder.

Re grub screw, if it is on the side like on marta calliper., i lay the bike on the ground so there is much less height difference hence less pressure before replacing the bleed screw by the calliper screw.

Just in case it applies to you, the 98 model ones have a tiny grub screw that is not supported in any of the bleed kits I've seen. However I cut a thread onto the end of the plastic syringe with a die and screwed that in instead.

Re:

Here is a method I have used and it works with Magura's and it's easy. Place the bike in a work stand and elevate the front of the bike to around a 45 degree angle. Let set overnight and tap on the brake lines every couple of hours to get air to move to the reservoirs. After the bike has set, loosen the brake levers and turn until reservoirs are flat. Pump levers a couple times slowly to burp then top off with oil. Then replace covers, readjust levers to original position and then your done.

Re: Re:

addicted":hdvu429y said:
Here is a method I have used and it works with Magura's and it's easy

Can work if you just want to shift a few stubborn air bubbles but obviously won't if you need to do a full bleed.

Back