Magura HS33 Brake lever not springing back

ishay

Retro Guru
Am I missing something? I have bought two independent brakes on eBay from two different sellers. I've stripped and cleaned both and setup one (the rear) completely with new fluid and bleeding. I squeeze the lever and the pads actuate, but the lever doesn't return to neutral on releasing the lever. The other lever, currently not connected to the hose is the same.

I setup a set on another bike last year and never had an issue. I assume there's a spring in there somewhere to do the return. Seems a long shot that both would be missing/broken from separate sources, though not impossible I guess.

Thoughts?

There’s not much to the levers, a spring and a piston basically, so I’d guess the issue is with one of those. Most likely the piston, I think they can swell up somehow and this slows or stops the lever return. I’ve had to lightly sand a piston before to get it working again.

Ah, it was indeed simple, even simpler than that! In order to removed the lever handle and investigate your suggestion I started undoing the pivoting bolt and the level bounced back. Seems I shouldn't have tightened the pivot bolt quite so much!

Feeling a little foolish now :)

Back