Mag 21 / 21 SL Differences

Thanks folks.....things are a little clearer for me :D

Just need to find a Mag 21 SL Ti Steerer/Crown in 1" threaded as listed above.....if anyone see one please give me a shout.... ;) :)

From mombat

The Mag 21 SL offer 46 mm of travel (60 w/ long travel kit) at 2.4 lb. The SL uses 1)machined cold forged crown 2) hand polished magnesium lowers and brace 3) titanium bolts and fasteners 4) externally tapered alloy steerer tubes (thread less only) and 5) Easton EA 70 taper wall upper tubes

In theory you can take a set of 1994 Mag21's replace all the bolts with Ti bolts and the steerer/crown with an SL Ti and change the brace then you have the same thing (a lot of bother!) As fluffy said, the steerers are threadless only probably due to them being aluminium, the walls can never be thin enough to get the quill stem in.

Pictured below you can see the "machined" part of the SL crown next to a standard '94 Mag21 crown. Quite a bit of material has been removed and the crown has a much nicer polished finish. I've also pictured my '94 Mag21 to show the gold aluminium stanchions.

Attachments

• SNC14184.JPG
    SNC14184.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,763
  • SNC14183.JPG
    SNC14183.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,762
FluffyChicken":153zdgni said:
You will not find an SL crown in 1" threaded only steel.
You will not find any threaded SL steerers.

Darn.....point taken.... :?

Not sure my SL Ti's are gonna go with the build i'd hoped.....i'm sure i'll find use for them though.... :)

You can of course use a steel steerer, if you get the nice 1994 one's they are not infact much heavier than the Alu one's . (at least the threaded anyway as they are externally butted)
Of course you cannot really claim to have an SL ;)

What have you currently got ?

FluffyChicken":22l3favn said:
To add to the above the crown SL= 7000 series Alu , standard = 2000 series Alu

Where did you find that information? Never knew that.

Back