MacRetro One Ton Club

velomaniac":26dyvald said:
We are put to shame, he has a father christmas beard and yet he rode that roadster behemoth over 100 miles in one trip !
They're actually easier to ride so long as you're not trying to do a Lance Armstrong impression.

These old 28" roadsters knock the miles off easily, and with the upright position and sprung saddle I still felt fresh after 100 miles - just ran out of daylight.

Anyhow, it's easy to ride in the Highlands, lots of big downhills. :)

Just don't expect to stop this week when you're going downhill fast in the rain... :)

How about we make 100km offroad and 100miles onroad as of equal merit for the Ton Club?

Errrrr........... I was favouring 100km for on road and 100 furlongs for off road as your version is beyond stupidity for me :oops:

velomaniac":22ukg6vf said:
Errrrr........... I was favouring 100km for on road and 100 furlongs for off road as your version is beyond stupidity for me :oops:

I like your version better :)

epicyclo":1tu3oe8l said:
Sounds good.

Does doing it on the road count?

Here's my September effort: 102 miles Coast to coast and back (Dingwall, Ullapool, Ledmore Junction, Bonar Bridge, Edderton) Ran out of daylight or it would have been a bit longer.

That's a fine bike you have there and great scenery to boot. Have you got any more photos ?

More from the same ride

Some mountainbiking

I can get it most places that my 29er will go, but that 46 tooth front ring makes the climbs a bit tough, and the rod brakes makes the descents too exciting.

I've just built up a new front wheel with a drum brake for it. This bike seems to have taken over most of the riding that I used to do on my 29er so it needs decent brakes. :)

And when I find a S-A 3 speed with a drum brake with 40 holes, I'm going to give in to to my advancing years and have gears on my bike.

I used to have a 40 hole drum braked SA 3spd hub. Heaviest wheel hub known to man, compared to Rohloff or NuVinci it was a behemoth. I bike mechanic told me they have 135 seperate components all steel. Stick with a rim brake rear and a normal 36 hole SA hub !

I've actually got one, but it's attached to a 26 x 1 ¼" rim. It is heavy. But I'd rather keep that for another project - I've got a Sunbeam which uses that wheel size.

But I want rid of the rod brakes. I don't want another situation where the bike accelerates up to 37mph in the wet with the brakes full on. I'm also considering a coaster - Velosteel still make 40 hole versions. I need the 40 holes so I can use my stainless steel rims. Another possibility is getting a modern S-A 3 spd coaster and stuffing it into an old 40 hole shell.

And then there's my other project - a retro/vintage fatbike which will need suitably vintage hubs, but that's another story. :)

Back