MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re: Re:

keithyr":20ng6i6i said:
I think robs got enuff pics o ma erse in his wank bank :oops:

Ye've taken that way too far, neebs.
e14554.gif

Aye, awright, it wiz me that started it but...FFS.

:mrgreen:

Tonight I visited the facebook site for Single Speed European Championships 2017 to be held in Evanton up the road from Dingwall the weekend after next. I am entered into it and thus thought I'd see if there was any new info. I am now a wee bitty feart as they have describe the course with a picture or two. Its going to be techy, steep, rooty and pretty much hacked out the hillside with shovel and pick. No nice groomed graded trail riding here then. So back to scratching head as to my steed. I'm one of those old farts who believe a true single speed is a simple mtb with no suspension converted from a geared bike with inspired bodging and a hammer ! Not for me the purpose designed single speed like the On-One Inbred or Surly 1x1, nor the modern replaceable dropout option for a modern piece of uber tech such as a Stooge or whatever. So here is my latest plan and its a proper frankenmonster.
I have already built up a 1992 Carrera Krakatoa with a DMR ss specific rear wheel and 80mm front sus with a gear ratio of 1.5 : 1 which I know is very spinny and slow but I get to stay on bike longer when it gets hilly so suits me. Here is the retrograde frankenstein bit. Replace the forks with the rigid forks I created for my home built but now dead Gruffalo fat bike. Fit a 26mm home built fat bike wheel on 100mm wide mtb disc hub with 65mm wide rim. Then fit to that a proper relic of mtb past, a Nokian Gazzaloddi 26 x 3.0 DH tyre !
This steed will be heavy....ish but low geared and the ability to ride through obstacles like the very blitzkreig itself :LOL: :facepalm:
Just to be silly and because it works the rear brakes a canti but the front will be a hydraulic disc :D

Re:

Hey Velo, apparently the course has approx 2000m of climbing :shock:
Think I'll stick with my 30:20-something gearing and just sit and spin up the hills!

I'm only planning on going for the Saturday, would be nice to meet up with the other MacRetro guys, Jamie and Brian going aren't they?

We will be there indeed jimo :)
I'll be down on Friday, most likely staying at Brians. Then campground Saturday. I will be around about somewhere to be found on my 1X1.
There is a few other macretros coming I think.

Jamie

Back