MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG, YOUR ALL DEAD, DEAD I TELL YOU, I'M GOING TO KILL THE LOT OF YOU, RIP YOU TO PIECES SO I AM, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Get your builds on www.ukfatbikes.co.uk and hang with folk on your wavelength, I'm in there and so are several of you, I see no point cluttering up a retrobike forum with modern bikes. I suspect that John might think it strays from the whole point of retrobike too but only he can close you down. Thats all I'm saying but............

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG, YOUR ALL DEAD, DEAD I TELL YOU, I'M GOING TO KILL THE LOT OF YOU, RIP YOU TO PIECES SO I AM, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

When it gets to the point that I'm the only one who shows up at a MacRetro bike meet not on a fat bike then thats the point I retire from MacRetro and go back to being an ordinary retrobike member :roll:

velomaniac":20cqnoov said:
When it gets to the point that I'm the only one who shows up at a MacRetro bike meet not on a fat bike then thats the point I retire from MacRetro and go back to being an ordinary retrobike member :roll:

Velo. I doubt it would be much consolation to you but had I not been too poorly to go to Dunkeld I would have been on a retro. I like my fatbike, I like my 29er, but I also still like my retros. ;)

Besides, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In my opinion Retrobike is as much about attitude as it is about the bikes. :LOL:

How is your fat project coming along?

firedfromthecircus":m9ylkj3p said:
Besides, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In my opinion Retrobike is as much about attitude as it is about the bikes.
This. I love the diversity on here, it keeps it really interesting.

In the UK Fatbikes site I've fessed up and admitted 'Half Fat' and 'Velomaniac' are in fact the same person ;)

So seeing as your asking from the point of actually riding a bike I'll initially ride my On-One 456 with 24 x 3" DH tyres provided I can shoehorn them in, to fatbike meets but hope to eventually get a proper fat tyre and fork on the front end and then stay there for a bit untill I win lotto.

As for building, well I'm going to give it a go but as I'm technically inept and need to buy some proper tools it'll possibly be the project that never gets finished but I have numerous plans in my head, probably most I should leave there :LOL:

velomaniac":33c44ndc said:

Ahem, had you been at Dunkeld on Saturday you'd have seen myself, zigzag, gmac, dynacol and The Ken all riding retro - I think as a 1996 mine might have been the newest ;)

Velo you dont need to win lotto to build a Fat bike, as has been explained on the other forum its only just marginally more expensive than building anything else. If you shop around and build it bit by bit it can actually be cheaper.
I'm certainly not graced with much money to spend on the bikes and as such mine has taken me around four months or so and has certainly not been too bad, cost wise. I sold a lot of my other stuff to be able to do it as I certainly didnt have the cash to spend. I picked up my frame,fork, complete wheel and rim for under £300, a cheap crank in the CRC sale along with race face stem, indulged in a new set of H bars, on sale along with a new Surly rear SS hub, both very cheap/help out deal from Jelle at Singlespeed central, along with the tyres and I'm still coming in under £560
I borrowed my BB5's from the 1X1 until I can buy a set of brakes, If I used standard bars and a deore hub, even new I would be well under £500. Mines the same as my 1X1 as a budget build and it rides sweet and I love it.
I looked at building a Fat front end for the 1X1 from new parts and I couldn't even do it for what I got the PugsF&F and wheel/rim secondhand.
I dont normally post what anything cost me but you seem to keep mentioning how expensive, luxurious, how you have to be rich, on a high salary type thing and I just wanted to show you it can be done cheaply. I know I got lucky with my job lot with the wheels but they do come up. I put mine in the loft when I got it as I just managed to get it but couldn't do anything else until I had sold some of my other stuff, bikes pay for bikes and all that. Plus if the lads know your looking for something, especially on here then everyone who can help will, Gaz, Kaiser and a few others have certainly helped me out.
And the Fats not instead of a retro bike, its alongside the retro bike, a time for everything (as long as its singlespeed ;) ), except my 88 Stumpy, as it came with gears ;)
I know you love tinkering and trying out designs which is always good but if the cost of a manufactured fat bike build is whats holding you back, its not any different to any other build, basic or bling its whatever you want.
If you put up a wanted ad you may be suprised with whats offered.
I look forward to riding with you again whatever you build, whatever you ride.
Jamie

Got back my hols in the canaries and thought I'd better move a step forward with my fat build. Now being a retro grouch and a skinflint I can't go out and buy made for purpose new stuff so I trawled ebay.
Result, i've just bought a set of Sun Phat Albert rims using some unspent holiday dosh. Now for students of DH (I'm not I just do my research) they'll know these as the first and worst wide DH rims ever made in large scale, a tendency to tacco at the first heavey hit due to single wall construction. But I'm not going to DH them I'm going to sand bike them with big cushy tyres so they'll feel cossetted :LOL:

I reckon my plan is for hub gearing as I can build the wheel undished at 135mm or less OLN so home bodged frame needs less extreme adjusting.

Current plan is to build a home bodge rear triangle for one of my Y-frames as this keeps the modifications minimal and whack a rigid fork on the front.

Back