MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

Looks cold.
Keith and I had just been saying on Sunday that you hadn’t posted pics for a while, you must have been listening!

Grand! My first trip to Scotland in 1973 was to the flow country :)

I've spent the summer periodically spinning the J5 and D5 wheelsets to agitate the sealant and dreaming of winter ;))

I'm in the Dales just now, caving. However I do have a bike with me too, and that might come in handy given the rain forecast ......

TC

Well I did manage to get down to Brians on the Tuesday and it was a glorious day. Very glad I did too as we all know how the week ended.
So for my two weeks off work I managed 3 days that weren't raining or gale force winds. They were utilised for riding and the other days I was very productive, not least of which was plastering, sanding and painting our bedroom while Heather was away for a few days. Now of course I would rather have been riding and most likely would have been had the weather been better so at least that jobs out the way. I did manage to progress a couple of builds and even sold my Midnight Special frame before I had even built it. It did go to pay for one of the recent purchases and I also have my old BMX sale as well. Trying to be good and one in, one out.
Anyway, Brian and I decided to get a few miles in around Strathpeffer and follow some sections of the Strathpuffer and join them up with some of our preferred trails. While lovely sunshine was out most of the day it was still quite cold with snow clearly visible on the high ground. Lots of water lying from the previous weeks rain but the trails were pretty well drained.
The Pugsley ran really sweetly around the hills with the gearing making such a different feel to the bike. Not in the way I imagined it would either. After so many times racing here and just trail riding with Brian all over Ben Wyvis, I was surprised that along these sections I didn't feel much, if any faster but what I felt was that going up the big fire road climb that it was a bit easier and while not faster, I think after a few laps, I wouldn't be as fatigued and so over that timespan I would go further. But after ten or more years singlespeeding I did feel like I was cheating :)
We of course stopped at the Deli and had lunch and cake ;)

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Anything happening 're Global Fat Bike Day on the 2nd December??
I just want to know what I'm missing: I have been grounded that weekend on dog sitting duties. I'll get out for a local ride on though (Kinross area)
TeeCee

Anything happening 're Global Fat Bike Day on the 2nd December??
I just want to know what I'm missing: I have been grounded that weekend on dog sitting duties. I'll get out for a local ride on though (Kinross area)
TeeCee
Hi TeeCee
Brian, myself and young Caleb will be out somewhere, Brian is just sorting whether he is coming up here or we will head down his way. I think the Highland Fatbike Group will have something on so we might also end up with them at some point. Hopefully you will get some company as well.

Jamie

Quiet old thread this one :)
Well not today but yesterday was Global Fatbike Day once again.
Similar to last year, Caleb joined Brian and myself for a ride down Brians locality. Brian and I on our trusty Pugsley and Caleb on his Baby Fatty. That may be it's last ride as he is rapidly outgrowing it.
We headed out through Strathpeffer and this time upwards to the stone circle then followed the hill along it's side slowly climbing to emerge up on knockfarral. We then rode along the top and descended down the Dingwall side and then rode back along the valley on the Peffery way to Strathpeffer station and then back up the road to the deli for another warming cuppa and some cake. We did stop there on the way through to start this loop when we had some coffee and bacon rolls for lunch.
Weather was glorious, sunny, dry though very icy and very cold. I don't think it got above 0 degree all day.
Brilliant afternoon out riding, just getting back on dark, which was cutting it fine with no lights between us. Caleb and I then drove back up the road before it was too icy.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer,

The last couple of days has been quite snowy here.

Lots of snow lying, which is good fun for the dog and our playing in the fields but can be a pain getting into work in the morning. Usually once out our quiet road and up to the main road into Thurso it is plowed and gritted. Last night we had a lot of snow come down and we also started getting 30 to 40 mph winds drifting it across the roads. Our small road being one that doesn't get gritted or plowed meant that it was soon built up in waves a couple of feet high.

I had the work van home with me the night before and there was no way it was getting up the road as the 4X4 of the farmers only made it half way. I then decided that I would commute in on the Pugsley, or at least give it a half hearted try, might not get into work but at least I would get a ride in the snow :)

Our road was pretty deep and on the main road there was a good three inches of snow blowing around hiding the ruts underneath. I tried a couple of the back roads to stay off the main road and out of the way of what minimal traffic there was, but these were just a couple of tyre tracks in the snow for the most part.

So I didn't succeed in getting into work, not quite what I would class as a failure, but I did get a good ride and solid workout in, as well as spent quality time with Pugsley. So a pretty good day I think.

Later on one of the locals came with a teleporter and bucket and scooped the road clear but the wind and snow was coming in so fast within half an hour it looked like he had never been done. So may not be able to get in tomorrow unless something else happens overnight.

Jamie

Looking back down my road to the home

Half an hour after it was plowed

Back