Low stack stem recommendations needed.

A quill type extender is perfectly safe provided the stem clamps mostly unto the actual steerer, if its just a bit extra for preload, a quill type will be fine.

You could look at stems with the wedge assembly as they just need to grip the steerer rather than clamp to it, and tend to do this lower than the top bolt of a more traditional stem.

A use stem with a Ringo star?

Pretty sure I had a title stem which only had a bolt at the bottom.

The Title stems are too short & USE either too long or too deep. Heard of the Ring-o-Star device but not seen in action.

I've got an old Thomson Elite with the wedge assembly but bar clamp is 25.4mm. This bike is 31.8mm

A quill type extender is perfectly safe provided the stem clamps mostly unto the actual steerer, if its just a bit extra for preload, a quill type will be fine.

Bit more than that - steerer is 11mm below top of stem & 2-3mm below top stem bolt.

I've ordered an extender from Blue Liquid Labs. They are custom made to the steerer ID & required length.

The Title stems are too short & USE either too long or too deep. Heard of the Ring-o-Star device but not seen in action.

I've got an old Thomson Elite with the wedge assembly but bar clamp is 25.4mm. This bike is 31.8mm

Bit more than that - steerer is 11mm below top of stem & 2-3mm below top stem bolt.

I've ordered an extender from Blue Liquid Labs. They are custom made to the steerer ID & required length.
I'd still dare provided the lower bolt is fully clamped unto original steerer but that's because I'm a cheapskate. Custom made sounds good though

Previous owner did the same. I'm maybe being an old fanny but the extender will give me piece of mind. Trying to solve it via reducing stack seems impractical & likely gives a stem I don't like as much as the one already on.

But I guess, technically, the custom made thingymajig is the same concept as one of them quill type extenders, just better machined to prevent play and slippage?

But I guess, technically, the custom made thingymajig is the same concept as one of them quill type extenders, just better machined to prevent play and slippage?
Except it bolts to a star-nut with a hollow threaded bolt to which the stem bolts to for pre-tensioning. Required a thicker stem bolt than normal. BMX I think. Comes supplied.

How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
Last one was $60 posted 5 years ago. I'll let you know as I haven't asked!

If you're only after gaining 6 or 7mm then it might be more cost effective to face your headtube down a bit. I've done it on lots of bikes - largely because i like a very low front end.
Also the FSA drop stems are very good with stack height of about 28mm if i recall.

Would a low stack headset do the trick?

HDK-0008__46779.1615583407_1e2ab41d-fe52-4771-b502-49b0f19c95ad_1080x.png

Back