Low stack stem recommendations needed.

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Got a bike recently & the steerer is 11mm below the top of the 40mm stem & below the top bolt. Not comfortable riding it like that (am I being over cautious?).

I want to keep the cartridge bearing headset so unlikely to find a lower stack height for that so looking for a decent 60mm'ish stem with 30mm stack height. 31.8 bar.

Any recommendations please?

Is the steerer steel? If yes, I'd have a machinist with a lathe to make an extension from steel and insert it tightly (outer dia. 1 1/8, inside is dictated by the steerer' inside dia., I guess). Sink it into the steerer 20 mm deep and have a decent wall width and Bob's your uncle. I doubt there's a decent stem with such a short clamp, usually clamp height is at least 35 mm plus, about 38-40 mm.

Thanks.
Think it's steel but will need to double check. I've had an extender made before to extend a steerer by 25mm but don't know if the guys still doing them & a stem would be a cheaper option I think. Not averse to having it done again though.
The one I had was from this guy & was pretty clever

Pretty sure the community has discussed this before. I've needed low stack stems a few times, so I copied the heights where known.

Sunline V-one - 41mm height
Ragley stubbing - 32mm
Funn Funduro - unknown
DMR defy - 30.5mm
Spank Spike - 26mm
Onoff (something-or-other) - 32mm

Funn Funduro
Aye, thanks - my search prior to posting brought up a few RB threads. The Sunlines about same as my current stem. The Ragley Stubbing is a candidate if I can find one the right length. New versions look to be deeper. Spank Spike - now 35mm. DMR Defy - all too short. OnOff - no spec given on site so need to contact. Funn Funduro I could get away with at 32mm if I can find one

I'm going for an extender. Not the clamp on type - bikes too nice to have two 2-bolt clamps (extender & stem) & that type of extender would still only have one bolt on the steerer. The cheap expander type extenders don't cut it for me trustwise so getting another made by Blue Liquid Labs as they have confirmed they still do them. They are a nice tight fit & also bolt into a star-nut.

You could look at stems with the wedge assembly as they just need to grip the steerer rather than clamp to it, and tend to do this lower than the top bolt of a more traditional stem.

A use stem with a Ringo star?

Pretty sure I had a title stem which only had a bolt at the bottom.

Back