Looking for RockShox Judy bushings...

bryanus

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I've been gone for a while, but have found myself back in the VRC scene again. This time I've got a '97 Judy with one-piece lowers, but the bushings are very worn and there is a lot of play/knocking.

I managed to acquire the actual RockShox tools to replace the bushings, but I can't seem to find any! I even called SRAM with part numbers and they couldn't find any in their inventory.

I did find one set on ebay UK, but they say they are for SID (20mm lower and 10mm upper? Will those work in my Judy?

I've also started looking at various bushing suppliers to try and find an off-the-shelf part that would work, but I don't know the exact size(s) I am looking for. I wouldn't think RockShox would have had these custom made just for their forks? Does anyone know the inner and outer diameters and length of the bushings used in the Judys?

Or, another idea is to pick up a new set of lowers for an early model SID, which I believe were the same as the Judy's. Anyone tried that?

If anything, the RockShox bushing kit is really cool....to look at! :LOL:

hi, you can use SID/Judy/Pilot bushings with a set of 10mm (upper) and 20mm (lower) bushings.
They fit earlier Judy forks (I have installed two sets already in two 1996 Judy forks) and it works.

Thanks for confirming cbb!

When installing the 20mm lower bushings, how do you know you have pressed them to the correct spot? The tool kit I have came with a sleeve for the original 10mm bushings. Will the bushing just 'stop' when it gets to the right place?

Unfortunately the shipping cost to the USA is pretty high for the set I found on ebay UK. I am now wondering if I would be better off getting a NOS SID lower with bushings already installed for the same cost as the bushing set.

BTW, I looked at your build gallery and happy to see my repro Judy decals on a couple of your builds! SRAM had my listings on eBay taken down after all these years! Still selling them from my blog/sig, though!

My advice is to measure the distance of insertion of old bushing. I mean a distance between edge of top bushing and the bottom edge of bottom bushing. When new bushings installed, you can correct the position of a bottom bushing a bit. Bottom bushing will not just stop when properly installing. Correct measurement is a key.
Hope it helps.
Yep, I used some of your set of RS bought from you. I actually work on another RS restoration, however, this time I did make my own set. Anyway, you did nice set of decals. I like it.

Back