Looking for inspiration - chainstay protector

setspeed

Retro Guru
I need a chainstay protector to finish off a bike, and I'm wondering what people use?
I don't want anything bulky like neoprene, or ghetto like an old inner tube.
I like the look of these silver ones, in aluminium or chrome effect vinyl, but worry they will quickly look crappy once the chain hits it a few times, so maybe black rubber or plastic would be better.
Give me your ideas/solutions!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230522-093723.png
    Screenshot_20230522-093723.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230522-093859.png
    Screenshot_20230522-093859.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 15
Needs a good quality tape and clean the stay with brake cleaner or isopropyl alcohol first to remove any oily residue on the paint. Can also just use helicopter tape cut to a thin strip which is (nearly) invisible or you can helicopter over a chrome one to protect it. Easier to clean and quieter too.

Another option, if you have a shed and some tools, is to make your own out of brass/copper/stainless pipe. Just find a diameter that suits and cut out what you need. Slightly smaller is better than too large.
All depends on chainstay profile/frame colour/finishing kit/period as to what works, but it is a way to add a personal touch and artisanal does not always equal w@nky.

Try “Scotch 3m clear mounting tape”. Great stuff, used often in the RC world to mount electronic components including high torque servos. It’s thick and quells noises such as chain slap.

Back