Looking for Info on Dia-Compe XE01 Cantilever brakes

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":3uhucotl said:
millsm":3uhucotl said:
I have the 1992 catalog in front of me right now - says the Response comes with Dia Compe XCM brakes with Dia Compe XCE brake levers. Hope this helps :)

That's interesting.

The 1992 catalogue in the achieve says Dia-compe Short Stop alloy/resin 3 finger levers and EX01 alloy low profile cantilevers.

Which seems to translate to SS5s and 986s.

Interesting that DBR seem to quote models from the Suntour Groupsets rather then the Dia-Compe stand alone ranges.

like these? http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=346025

The 986 were 'remodelled' as EX01 to match up with the Suntour groupsets fitted to '92 DBRs.

Re:

Tbh, it doesn't really matter – Dia Compes (particularly the 986) are pretty cool brakes. But I guess if you're trying to faithfully recreate a particular period bike fitted with its catalogue list of parts, then its obviously important to ensure the correct branded parts are fitted. Actually, the black coated Dia Compes do look pretty cool.

PS: Does anyone have any of the coiled springs to spare?

Re:

You know- you're right. If I'm going to do it, I may as well do it properly.

Just bagged two NOS pairs of the correct x-1 cantis off ebay.

Also sourced a pair of x-1 levers. Just need to see if friends in Texas are happy to have them sent there to bring next time they visit the UK in the summer.

This build is costing me a fortune!

Re:

If you're going to do it.........

I'm really getting a groove on for this build. Not really sure why as, although I always appreciated the steel DBR frames, I've never had any real desire to own one. This has all happened as a happy accident & I've got to say I've developed a real connection.

Odd isn't it; how sometimes that happens.

Back