Looking for advice on where I can get replacement taper need

Jim Lyon

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I'm trying to find where I can get some replacement taper needle roller bearing sets for a 1993 Trek 820 "Antelope" which comes with a 1" threaded steering tube. I'm only after the bearijg cage & races. & would prefer to upgrade to a better quality bearing without having to buy the complete assembly. You'd think the obvious solution would be go to a bearing stockist?- One might think !
Having tried all the bearing stockists in Sheffield, the results vary from ( on examining the parts ) "But it's tapered NEVER seen any of those !" Or being given the bits & asked for a replacement, can't even identify a bearing race or needle roller cage ! !
Any conversation ends with "Why is it that size?" & as soon as I mention MTB, that's the kiss of death to any meaningful conversation as they beat a hasty retreat !
Ideally, what I'd like is bearings from a company who isn't ashamed to put their name on the bearing, along with an identity code, so that eventually I only need to quote that to get the eventual replacement.

Cheers,
Jim

Re:

jim, just get another 1" headset. this will satisfy the need and are generally available.

And, lest forget that your fork crown race and headset cups will be worn too. giving that new vs old factor. get a new one.

m.

Rampage":2g2lzen3 said:
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Products-Taper+Roller+Bearings/c4747_5262/index.html

The trouble is I got the taper roller upgrade over a dozen years ago. The shop I bought it from is now closed, & the bearing manufacturer are apparently too ashamed to even stamp their name on their product -sigh!
The trouble with most bearing stockists is they're lazy, & expect me to supply a bearing manufacturer & their product code. If I fail to supply that ( in effect doing 1/2 their job for them ), they start losing interest VERY rapidly, fobbing me off with various lame excuses.
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to upgrade to a better quality bearing & have those details, as I'm well aware that it would also not only make life easier for me, but help me get what I want ( which is the object of the whole exercise. -But I seem to be caught in a "Catch 22" situation !

Re: Re:

marc two tone":kldmw0uv said:
jim, just get another 1" headset. this will satisfy the need and are generally available.

And, lest forget that your fork crown race and headset cups will be worn too. giving that new vs old factor. get a new one.

m.

Firstly, I generally consider a taper needle roller bearing as consisting of a cage containing the needle rollers & an inner & an outer race. While I'd prefer to buy just the two sets of those in order to save money, & hopefully be able to upgrade to a better quality bearing manufacturer e.g. SKF or Timken etc, so that I can get a branded item, complete with product code stamped on it, as explained above, bearing stockists so far are just giving me the run around.
If I have to, in order to make the bike a runner, I will buy a complete 1" headset ( even though I'll probably end up with another unnamed bearing ). However, despite your claim that they "are generally available", after numerous searches on google, that's not my experience e.g. 1" threaded headsets are now being referred to as "traditional" & "conservative" & I can't help get the impression they're now being phased out! - It seems that ( because it no longer requires them to cut a thread on the steering tube, that allows the manufacturer to "maximise their
profits" ) they'd rather sell the Aheadset style where it's simply clamped in position by the handlebar arm.
So, if you or anybody else who reads this knows of a solution to this ( either a preferably online shop [ or one in the Sheffield area ] who still stocks 1" threaded taper needle roller head sets or a FRIENDLY bearing stockist who's willing to match up the bearing I show them. Which is what I've been trying so far ] ) I'd be most appreciative.
BTW if you do a Google search for local bearing stockists, don't be surprised if the one mentioned disappeared years ago, as it seems quite a bit of info up on the internet is simply out of date, & nobody has bothered to remove it !

Two options then:

1) measure the bearings yourself and look on the internet.
2) buy one of the 1" threaded headsets that you can still buy - loads on ebay.

Re: Sheffield area hset

Hi.i live in Sheffield and I have a Shimano 600 cartridge hset you can have cheap if you collect.pm me if interested.
Kes

Re:

So you don't remember the name of the headset on the bike?

Just get a new headset and fit it if you don't want to measure the bearing themselves. You don't need the cage as decent roller ones are in a plastic cage and you pop them out and stick new rollers in.

If it's a sealed cartridge type then it may well be a custom job from back then and if measure it yourself and lost pics and dimensions up on cycle forums for so eone to identify.

Post some pictures up and someone might identify it.

You'll have a stack height of 40mm for the headset (steerer-headtube length) assuming it has not been altered from new.
There are Token and BBB on say wiggle website and FSA at PlanetX/On-One (who have a shop not too far from you iirc)

Back