1994 GT TIMBLERLINE 16" Restoration + ROCK SHOX Quadra 21R

Front Derailleur and Rear Deraileur.

That is lovely machine but to be honest I don't think that travel would be properly used if I was riding it. CrossCountry riding is my style and even my "modern" bike is rigid. :)

Lovely job. My first proper bike was a 95 GT Timberline which was the same frame as yours but in a grey kind of colour. I bought it because it had an STX rear derailleur and had nicer grips than the Saracen which was the bike shop's other choice at that price.

I remember wearing the brake blocks down to the metal riding down a mountain in the Alps. Happy days.

Re:

Very nice restoration!

I'd like to see the blue riser replaced by a black one though.

It looks much better on its original forks but if your going to make more use of the bike with the 21rs fitted then go for it.

Thank you!

I have to agree that it does look better on the matching rigid forks but now that I'm more old git than angry student I need a little cushioning in my life ;)

I had a feeling the bars would draw attention but to me they've been on so long (22 years) they look original! I might see what I can find online and try something wider. I'm assuming modern bars will be straighter with less rise.

I'll be sticking with the Alivio derailleurs front and back. Never had any trouble with them at all. They shift perfectly. Even better with a new chain and rear cassette! Don't see the advantage of upgrading to an STX? One of the reasons I chose this bike over the Marin (other than the awesome metallic green paint) was that it had a totally matching parts set in the form of the Alivio Upgrade Edition, from derailleurs to shifters and brakes, instead of a mish-mash of STX, Alivio and Acera. It's all worked flawlessly.

But the main thing is that my trusty Green Machine is back running in tip-top condition so it's time to put another 23 years on the clock!

Re: Re:

chrisv40":21j4dv7p said:
I'd like to see the blue riser replaced by a black one though.
Dare":21j4dv7p said:
non-raser, black or silver handlebars

Any recommendations for handlebars? The blue ones are 680mm wide and I reckon I could happily have my hands at least half a hand further out, say a couple of inches each way, so maybe around 740-760mm? I saw some Renthals in my local MTB shop that had little 10mm markers on the ends which I assume were guides for cutting to length? Will give the Renthals a miss though as the cheapest bar was £65 :shock:

Adam_S":21j4dv7p said:
I remember wearing the brake blocks down to the metal riding down a mountain in the Alps. Happy days.

I did that too! They started making the most horrific squealing noise! Still, not bad. They did last 20 years!

Wow! Lovely job! Must admit my heart was in my mouth scrolling down from the caustic pics though :shock: My nephew had one the same and managed to source some Tektro green cantis and a matching Middleburn outer chainring :cool:

Back