LOOK Fournales carbon linkage forks

Just to be completist...here's the sizing scheme:

All the best,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 13.44.49.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 13.44.49.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,118
Fournales mk 3 stem

Hi all, so a bit new to the retro MTB scene but have been building up a couple of GT STS DS 1000, and learning lots along the way. I have a lovely set of mk3 cobra forks, indicated on the serial they are a medium. Now, going from the Look manual, these are the correct size for the GT STS, with a 113 head stock, and with the headset stack its 140mm. However, the stem is only 28.9 at the top for 37mm of its length, before it slims down to 27.1mm diameter (why?), and just wont line up properly in the headset. The crown race for an EC34 works, as does the top, but you cant just use spacers as the stem narrows, so moves freely side to side in the upper bearing. I've attached a picture for reference. I can extend the crown I think, with a wolf tooth lower extender for 10mm, and a white industries stack is about 30mm, but seems a strange design, as the other admitted limited experience I've had with fitting forks have just a straight tube. Well...actually the other fournales mk 2 i have had the strange screw on top part. But that at least seems to work as a medium on the same frame. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 957
  • IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 955
  • IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_2987.JPG
    IMG_2987.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 956
Re: Re:

ferrus":ex69inhe said:
Fantastic stuff, Dan you are indeed The Man!
Don't think I've seen the Shark before - reminds me a bit of a Quasar, but a better design no doubt.
I've noticed there is good writing service where you can buy research papers cheap so seems to be a few subtle variations of the Mk3 regarding the split steerer system, mine doesn't have the pinch-bolt for example.

All look well made.. the intricate machining on the later models is something else -even if a little disconcertingly delicate in places!

For sure you are totally correct with it.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Cobra, with the integrated stem is a bit different to the standard Mk3.
Looks like it's designed for a fixed length of headtube + headset stack, with no adjustment.
The steerer slims down to save some weight, maybe 30g, but causes you some hassle.

As you know, the standard Mk3 has an adjustable top section on the steerer, which screws up and down to preload the headset and spacers.
The Mk3 fork was supplied with a selection of spacers, including one long enough to bridge the gap across that chamfer.

To sort yours, you need a custom shim made that will take up the slop between the headset and steerer.
It would need to be a 2-part split shell that is then bonded onto the steerer before it's inserted through the headset.
It's nothing structural, just needs to make op the space and not fall off into the headtube.
Fairly simple turning job: 28.6 external, 27.1 internal and around 30mm long, split axially into 2 parts, I could make that for you:

You could then use standard 1-1/8" spacers to fill the stack height up to the base of the stem if the stem has enough float to compress down the steerer.
If not, you'll need an adjustable spacer to pre-load the headset. The ABR Float (around £:cool:, comes in a couple of length ranges and would be in keeping with the CNC look of the fork:

All the best,

Attachments

• IMAG0089_copy_1868x1395.jpg
    IMAG0089_copy_1868x1395.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 802
  • Annotation 2020-04-16 121417.jpg
    Annotation 2020-04-16 121417.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 802
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 802
Hi

Just acquired what i believe to be a MK2 Look Fournales fork, probably the only one in Australia.

So obviously I need to build a bike around the fork, circa 1996 I believe.

Any suggestions on frames that would suit the fork, duelly with 80-100mm would be awesome, but interested in the hardtail option as well.

Photos if you you got them

Thanks from AU

Re:

Carbon Lynk":38zpvc1i said:
Hi

Just acquired what i believe to be a MK2 Look Fournales fork, probably the only one in Australia.

So obviously I need to build a bike around the fork, circa 1996 I believe.

Any suggestions on frames that would suit the fork, duelly with 80-100mm would be awesome, but interested in the hardtail option as well.

Photos if you you got them

Thanks from AU

My Global Ti softail.

Attachments

• ResizerImage2937X1655.jpg
    ResizerImage2937X1655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 688
Back