long gone but not forgotten part 2 - cannondale content

redfern1950s

Retro Guru
Carrying on from my old muddyfox courier.

The saddle and group set then went on this beauty :

This cannondale was bought as a frame set in january 1990 from 'freewheel' nottingham.

Having most of the parts for the build was good. i just needed wheels etc etc.
When i first built it up i used the rare xt crank set, this was untill i found in my parents loft a mint set of 'cook bros cranks', they came from my bmx days, just needed converting to take 3 rings.

Sold the xt crank set to the friend who bought my courier..

Frame & forks : 18" black with gold metal flakes 'original'.
Group set : shimano xt 18spd. inc xt seat post.
Wheels : mavic m6 oxygen 36h.
Stem & bars : chrome tioga T bone , cook bros bars ( shimmed ).
Tyres : tioga slicks 'wide' for touring, ritchey megabites for off road.
Chain : sedis.

Although my courier was bought for touring only, this cannondale was for all riding, hence the way smaller 18" frame as apposed to the 23" MFC.
The stiff frame was brilliant, no more flex, it was just the ticket, plus it didnt weigh much, not that it made any difference when touring with every thing but the kitchen sink :facepalm:

But then disaster, my pride and joy developed a creak !!! it had lasted one year of touring.. :facepalm:
The whole of the frames seat tube had failed.... !!!! :(
I quickly got in touch with freewheel in nottingham, but they where having none of it, and refused a refund or replacement ....., never been in to that shop ever since....

So i made a phone call to cannondale HQ in the states, where i spoke with a very understanding member of their staff. 'jeff if i remember rightly '.
But at first he wasnt having none of it......untill he agreed with me that it wasnt fit for its original purpose...

I only sent the frame back, hats off to cannondale/jeff, they sent me the latest but with pepperoni forks a brilliant alu cannondale stem with titanium hard ware and xt head set fitted..
I built this bike up, then sold it soon after.
To be replaced with a 1990 UU saracen trekker custom build..., the saracen was to become my best touring bike..

Ive got a few photo's of this bike, hope you like.

One taken in 1990 at the top of glastonbury tor. the other taken was taken in 91 with its upgrades such as the now sought after pace rc30 forks...

1990 cannondale by redfern1950s, on Flickr

1990 cannondale by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Re:

Just an update:

Not the best quality photo

This was built up from the replacement frame set that cannondale kindly sent me in return for the damaged black one above.
As mentioned, i didnt keep this for long !

1991 cannondale by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Re:

Cheer's for the comments. glad you like.

Adding those pace forks made a huge difference to the handling. Although the original forks that came with the black frameset where ok, i never rarely liked them, always thought they looked a bit wimpy.
I should dig out some more photo's.

Martin.

Back