Long cage Super Record mech’

ferrus

Breezer Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Not sure it would work. The problem with those campag mechs of the era were the top jockey wheel fouling the big cogs. With no B screw, this problem wouldn't go away. With a modern hanger dropper, it would probably work in the bigger cogs, but then the jockey is a long way from the little cogs.
The conversion only addresses the chain length problem

A SunTour Cyclone II GT will handle 8 gears if you file down one of the stops a bit.
And it's a lot cheaper and lighter, and looks good too.

I've got one with an SRAM PG-850 11-32 8 speed cassete (127mm OLD).

Not sure it would work. The problem with those campag mechs of the era were the top jockey wheel fouling the big cogs. With no B screw, this problem wouldn't go away. With a modern hanger dropper, it would probably work in the bigger cogs, but then the jockey is a long way from the little cogs.
The conversion only addresses the chain length problem
I’ve had reasonable success with a Nuovo Record fitted with Rally cage on a 28 T cog.
The second gen Rally mech was basically a Gran Sport with a long cage (essentially the same body geometry as SR and NR), so this should work just as well (not brilliantly).
But I agree it’s best suited to chain length issues from triple ring setups etc

Last edited:
This gen campy parallelogram moves the cage in line with the axle, not the cassette sprockets, so as a rule this era campy works best on closer ratio.
As riders came to expect wider ratios, even campy had to adopt the slant parallelogram derailleur popularised by Suntour
So it's a waste of money going to the trouble of dismantling a rally mech to pinch the cage to give your s-record derailleur greater chain capacity. The rally+record should just be left alone, and go get something that works!!

One for Frankenstein's gravel gruppo!

I have one of those Gran Prix mechs, bought NOS from Japan a couple of years ago. (I don’t think they were ever exported into Europe). It’s an amazingly advanced design for the time and no doubt totally outperformed Campag mechs two decades later! As you say, the slant parallelogram transformed shifting.

But I disagree about Rally converted SR/NR mech’s. No ones dismantling Rally’s for the cage - the cages were sold independently, sometimes fitted at the point of sale. Back in the 70s some folk even used to improvise cages so they could run wider range gearing with their beloved Record mechs. You’re not using 70s/80s Campag for its shifting prowess are you. 😀

Last edited:
2nd gen are just long cage Gran Sports with a different name plate. 1st gen were more interesting (and more advanced! - with their dropped parallelogram). 3rd gen are much more refined in finish but still a crude design for the period. I love them all and have about 6 variations in the collection.

Interesting fact, at some point in 1984 Campag ran out of ‘Rally’ faceplates so some were released with Nuovo Record ones instead. People always insist these were just bodged together, aftermarket, from Rally and NR parts, but then I saw one pictured in a Japanese Campag catalogue. Someone on Velobase mentions buying one new in its box BITD.

Last edited:
Always surprises me how little rallys are worth, and how much the ti bolt s-record.
This seller thinks otherwise. 😐
A brand new, unused 3rd gen mech like this was the very first mech I bought for the collection. (The missus bought it actually and received a lovely note from the seller wishing her many happy miles of touring with it. I feel a bit guilty, as it’s just sat on a shelf ever since)
We paid £16 for it (in 1993 ish)…..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Always surprises me how little rallys are worth, and how much the ti bolt s-record.
Here’s a fairly uncommon SR with alum bolts, released during a supply shortage in Ti:

This bloke thinks his chromed bolt version is super-rare and has priced it accordingly. I don’t know anything about this oddity -

Back