Living the (ever changing) life of Ridley..Another finished, so endeth this chapter, or summat

Keeping it real with the skin walls :)

love the colour schemes on those bikes :cool:
They generally go for black or white, but have added a few other colour options to their newer frames.
The tubular tyres are also available in red wall which would have looked fantastic on my first Ridley, see first post, and green, a kind of pistachio green. Neither would suit this bike I'm building.

Last edited:
They generally go for black or white, but have added a few other colour options to their newer frames

Your cyclocross bike looks okay - but what’s the craic with everything being black these days

Walked into Evans the other day looped the show room and left without stopping
Apart from destroying the aesthetics of a MTB with overly big wheels, slack geometry, back blocks larger than Domino pizza boxes, tiny front chain ring with no front mech they then paint every bike in the showroom BLACK

Its no wonder they paint them Stealth - pure wall to wall FUGLY , I guess the black paint is akin to architects planting trees to hid their monstrosities

Your cyclocross bike looks okay - but what’s the craic with everything being black these days

Walked into Evans the other day looped the show room and left without stopping
Apart from destroying the aesthetics of a MTB with overly big wheels, slack geometry, back blocks larger than Domino pizza boxes, tiny front chain ring with no front mech they then paint every bike in the showroom BLACK

Its no wonder they paint them Stealth - pure wall to wall FUGLY , I guess the black paint is akin to architects planting trees to hid their monstrosities
I sold my 29er a few months ago, also more black than anything, mainly because I didn't use it enough to warrant keeping it. It just felt slow and cumbersome. But enough about me 😂

Now I have just three 26er MTBs. Until I bite the bullet and sell one.

Going to make a bit of progress with the cross bike today

Muz

So today I've had the opportunity to strip the brakes, clean, clean the pad surfaces, and refit with some fresh grease. All in good order thankfully. Not sure what the pad material is for, maybe alloy brake surfaces, maybe carbon, I won't take the risk and use for alloy and training wheels, before swapping for carbon specific pads for racing.
Also stripped the headset. It was refreshing to see the bearings in good condition as well as the cups inside the frame. Nice contrast to my recent Bianchi frame! IMG_20230525_124147516.jpg
IMG_20230525_124117118_HDR.jpg Once cleaned I repacked with plenty of the good stuff. Juice Lubes. It's very reminiscent of Black Gold grease from back in the 90's, in viscosity and colour, I highly recommend it for bearings. IMG_20230525_124455558_HDR.jpg
The Race Face spacer is a nice touch, although I may well cut the steerer down at some point in the future. IMG_20230525_125011611_HDR.jpg
I also managed to breathe some life into an almost seized rear brake cable adjuster, before cleaning up and a bit of grease before refitting IMG_20230525_144508697_HDR.jpg
Once that was done, I showed the newly arrived seatpost some T-Cut, polish and elbow grease Fitting that with the saddle once I'd also cleaned up the clamp. Again, another nice bit of red anodising. IMG_20230525_131635712.jpg So here we are so far. IMG_20230525_133326046_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Got some new parts this week, so started fitting them. Chainring bolts and some matching jockey wheels. Will not want to get them dirty!
IMG_20230610_135512382_HDR.jpg

Found a good match for the golden yellow paint with Fizik bar tape, also new chain arrived
IMG_20230610_135531906_HDR.jpg

Also got some Ride On brake cables, used by the team. A grey set as I couldn't find black.
Sadly, the mech hanger decided to die when I tried to adjust it. It was a weak design anyway so better to find that out and replace it now, than half way through a race. New one ordered. Held me up a bit.
IMG_20230610_164442838.jpg
Hoping my nex post will be the last as it's finished and ready to test on the local bridleways

Muz

Back