Lexus is200 project car/daily driver

raleighrider21":1n9r6ai7 said:
Grannygrinder":1n9r6ai7 said:
raleighrider21":1n9r6ai7 said:
seriously, I might not be a experienced mechanic but I know enough to say that if you lower the rear end it will take weight off the front end, it will effect handling massively and not in a good way either, if your set on lowering the rear end of the car at least lower the front end. im not just talking theory either, seen it done on one of these and it just ruined it. they designed it that way for a reason. lowering the rear end and combining that with those wheels your just going to loose the comfort of the car and ruin the handling. looks nice enough in the picture and that's coming from a 19 year old.

I'm not having a go, but i've been dicking about with/in cars for more years than you've been alive.
I've spoken to a good friend who runs a business making race cars, and has done for many years,from the ground up. From Mini's to 800bhp quad turbo Evo's and everything in between.
He recommends 40mm-60mm drop at the rear with a 20mm-40mm drop at the front. Less body roll and more positive turn in being the benefits.
ive been around cars all of my life, been around tuning all of my life also, ive worked on high end cars such as Porsche cayenne`s, bmw`s, mercedes AMG`s as part of my apprenticeship im on with Halfords. so I do know a bit and im not completely clueless. what I was talking about was just lowering the rear as that's what it sounded like you intended to do. as I said if lowering the rear lower the front, just like your "friend" has told you too.

I wudn't go any lower than what your mate said. Completely wrecks the handling of the car having it as low as your grannys nipples...
decent shocks, and ARB. Get some shims for your hubs for a ickle bit of camber and enjoy the sideways play.... theres ton's u can get for the iso

Are ARB's very benficial on the Lexus, i was pondering buying some.
Currently undertaking a big brake conversion using some 4pots from a Nissan 300zx, they're not that far away from bolting straight on :D
Oh and repairing the cracked alloy caused by the access road at work, possibly another good reason not to go too low :D

How's this coming along? Looking at IS300's at the moment to replace my Fabia vRS that went yesterday. Drove one yesterday but it was a dog that needed massive amounts of work and was overpriced. It was quiet though and reasonably fast (though not in the same league as my old Accord-R or even the Fabia) but tyres were all worn and it had the classic heavily worn inners from shot front bushes (which knocked as well). Going to see some more over the weekend starting with one that has quite high miles but a comprehensive history and just had a big service with cambelt and waterpump.

Carl.

Re:

Currnetly in the middle of fabricating adaptors so i can run 4 pot skyline front brakes.
Not because the originals aren't up to the job, but they are tired and need replacing so i elected to improve and replace :D

I think if i had known the 300 even existed when i bought the 200 i would have gone for a 300 :roll:

Handling is amazing. I ended up with 18" wheels all round but with 225/40 front and 235/45 rears.
Front suspension is stock with coilovers at with back providing a 40mm drop, some of which if negated by the higher sidewall on the rear tyres.

Only other thing i have done is painted the front grill black.
MOT wasn't too much of a hit too the wallet, although it wasn't cheap. I think you sometimes need to take the hit on the first MOT with a car thats new to you.

Really enjoying driving it. The 'bank manger' has ok'd the longterm plan to get either a 300 or an 05(last of this shape i think) 200

I didn't end up with a 300 as the ones in my budget were either really tatty or misdescribed in the ads, shame as they drive really nicely and have a nice solid feel inside (even the tatty ones). I started a search for local cars and turned up a Saab 9-3 Aero in Silver with 80k and FSH and paid 2.5k for it, outstanding value. Not sure if it will prove as good as the Lexus in the reliability stakes long term (although they seem to have a good rep) and it's not quite the drivers car that the IS is, but it's not far off. One thing though it is faster than the IS300 with 0-60 in 7.6 with it's 2.0 Turbo engine in standard trim, although it can be mapped to 250bhp without further mods I think I will keep it standard as 210bhp feels like enough.

Carl.

Re:

Braking mods shelved until i get back from hols in south of France. :(

However i did get around to lowering the rear suspension 35mm :D
Since changing to the 18" wheels i have been mucking about with tyres sizes the optimim now being 225/40/18 up front with 235/45/18 out back. This resulted in a bit of a nose down arse up stance and a slightly twitchy turn in(oversteer if you will) :( Lowering the rear has restored the composed turn in and all is well with the handling in fact i would go as far as to say it is slightly improved.
New discs and pads for the rear next week and a fresh NSF caliper to go with the fresh OSF that i have already fitted :D

Will the brakes on this be the wrong way round as well?

Blows raspberry!

"Over to traffic for news of a tractor causing a jam in swaffham"

Re:

Guess that depends on where i'm driving/riding doesn't colonel smarty pants :D
"I fart in your general direction" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• Monty-Python-and-The-Holy-Grail-monty-python-16581049-845-468.jpg
    Monty-Python-and-The-Holy-Grail-monty-python-16581049-845-468.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,059
Back