Lets see your Aero profile frames and goodies

bikemeister2000":3lerpwc8 said:
Raleigh had 3 other fairly cheap 'n' cheerful bikes in the range with aero tubing at around the time yours was made; the Record Sprint and Quasar (I used to own one of those) with Reynolds 501 Cr-Mo main tubes and the Pulsar with 18-23 high-tensile tubing. The Pulsar and Quasar were notable for the use of Shimano Adamas AX aero brake levers at a time when having cables under the bar tape was a relatively new idea.

David

The Pulsar, Quasar, Team Cadet etc with "Aero " tubes, were all in fact built with round tubes. The entire frame was put into a huge press, machine and squashed. The process literally shook the ground !!!

Fondling the frame today i can quite beieve it. The ovalisation is most pronounced in the middle of the tubes. So, the earth moved for me :roll:

Thanks for the info,

Dave

My favorite Columbus Air frame.
If I'd ever find one in my size (58/59 c-t) in Benotto champagne colour and fitted with Modolo Kronos brakes... :cool:
GroteFoto-4ZUFMFMK.jpg

Swedish Mustang

I had one of these in light blue for a while in 1984-85:
mustangaero.jpg

It's a Mustang Aero Apex 600. Though Mustang is a Swedish brand and at that time had their own factory in Sweden,
this model was built by C.Itoh of Japan. Tange tubing with aero down- and seat tubes.
Components were Shimano 600 AX. It even had aero spokes, that were very prone to breaking. I always had few spares with me.

I’m glad you like it.

The oval tubing is hardly noticeable on my frame. Its a 21” frame so that may have something to do with it.

Only one set of bottle mounts as well.

This is me with my 60s/80s-refinish Zieleman. There are a couple 80s typical aero influences: Weinmann Delta Pro brakes, Roval wheels, Stronglight aero post and Cinelli 1R stem.

3089921161_849db5db55_b.jpg

Elev12k":kj7rl2r9 said:
This is me with my 60s/80s-refinish Zieleman. There are a couple 80s typical aero influences: Weinmann Delta Pro brakes, Roval wheels, Stronglight aero post and Cinelli 1R stem.

3089921161_849db5db55_b.jpg

mmm that is very nice ,especially in black/white, is it really 60s ? I had some of those Rovals but with many less spokes (not enough for me) and a funny bike with those "brakes"

The frame is. In the 80s new live was breath in it with a complete refinishing. Hence the later style paint. It was rebuilt with a mix of old and than new parts. Again ready for many miles to come :) A couple years ago I got my hands on the bike. I liked the idea of a sinister period correct (given the refinishing) rebuild with the aero kit I had laying around. That is how it all got shape.

Newbie in Argyll, skip find Tsunoda aero ax

Hello from rain lashed Scotland
Heres a wee gem i pulled out of a skip
early 80s Tsunoda aero ax,
Tange aero tubing, rough paint.
Shimano 600 ax bits.

Kashimax saddle
Nitto Olympiade bars
Shimano exage aero levers
Tubular 700 Mavic rims on Adamas hubs
Ax seat post
chain wheels 600 ax , 53/ 42
FD 600 ax
RD 600 ax
6 speed uniglide cassette, with modded hyperglide 28 crawler for the hills.
600 ax friction shifters.
one of the first bikes to have aero levers, although this has been retro fitted with Shimano Exage levers.
Pedals, 600 ax Dyna Drive.

[

This had been through the LBS guy , Nick at RCS cycles in Glen Lonan, he sold it to a work mate to use as a turbo trainer, he left and the bike ended up in the skip during a clean up ( I work in a power station)

As found it was missing tyres , had knackered BB, one knackered pedal bearing.worn chain, missing front FD, and had wrecked bar tape and cables.
After replacing stuff its now a gem to ride.

Aero ax pics

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/1982tsunodaaeroaxshiman.jpg/]
1982tsunodaaeroaxshiman.jpg
[/URL]

i posted this on another form and learned they were marketed as Lotus bikes in the US.
The frame has one lug at the BB, rest is fillet brazed.
As found it came with Shimano 105 brakes, Ive since fitted a 600 AX centre pull at the front, Defietsenmaker in Holland supplied NOS correct 600 ax pedals ( Dyna drive) and FD.

The paint is poor , but the bike rides well, planning to fir a clincher wheel set with wider tyres in the future.

More pics

rear mech

headstock

Latest posts

Back