Lava Dome colour code

giraffeinbath

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know what the colour code would be for a purple (91?) Kona Lava Dome? I assume there must be a hexadecimal or pantone code that could be matched to buy some paint.

Back when I thought it would be cool I had the frame respayed in the same colour combo as the DOGS BOLX, now I'm a little older and more respectful I'd quite like to return my old frame to how it rolled out the Kona factory. :D

The 91 and 92 Lava Domes were both purple, but a slightly different shade. You can tell which year it is because the 91 has a brazed-on seat clamp (at the front), whereas the 92 has a removeable one. Kona don't have records of RAL codes, and I believe their line is that the colours were mixed in Taiwan (at the Fairly works in the case of a 91 Lava Dome, which I think is a Giant factory), and just approved by Kona.

I've given this advice loads of times and nobody has ever told me subsequently whether it was any use or not, but Argos Cycles of Bristol has been the UK repairer for Kona since the dawn of time, and they may well have repainted a 91 or 92 Lava Dome at some point and so they may conceivably have kept a record of the mix. Even if not, nobody in the UK is going to get it closer. And living in Bath you wouldn't even need to pay for postage, you lucky man.

Gil_M on this site can probably sort you out with an excellent set of decals.

Cheers Anthony,

I'll give Argos a call and see what they can do, being just down the road I guess they would be the obvious place to take it anyway. Already dropped Gil_M a pm to see if he can help with the decals...... ;)

Back