Last British made frame in Tour de France? Other races?

JSH":nqnoatri said:
Even the lightest steel is twice the weight of mid range carbon and you can sculpt CF into more aero shapes. I personally love 1" steel because it is evocative of an earlier time and I have 3 80's frames in 531 & Columbus SL - but my Supersix Evo don't half feel faster ;-)

Read the review and they state the 953 race steel bike is not much heavier than the carbon race bike. Will get the figures

Re:

800g heavier than the carbon- and that's superb.
I warrant the carbon won't be on retrobike in 15 odd years time

7kg for carbon and 7.8kg for steel.

Re: Re:

ibbz":31o7dann said:
800g heavier than the carbon- and that's superb.
I warrant the carbon won't be on retrobike in 15 odd years time

7kg for carbon and 7.8kg for steel.
my bold!
I used to say and think that too, but 2 examples spring to mind in our club - one has an alloy/carbon mix Pinarello that sees a lot of use including the occasional race, bought in 2000 new and it's still going strong.

Another guy uses a Telecom pink Giant TCR all year, summer and winter. Not sure of the age, but he bought it used and that frame still goes strong (although he's been through several Dura-Ace cranks, they keep snapping on him, and remarkably he's a lightweight, and a few ksyriums in his time)

Its not about weight, carbon is stiff and transfers power better, hence the demise of Titanium that was popular in the early 2000's

Genesis made the steel bikes because there is a minimum weight rule in the UCI. You can make a lighter carbon bike but you're not allowed to and Genesis spotted that they could make a steel bike that was 'as good' at that weight. I don't think they are using them in the tours now, but something that sprang to mind, the budgets are lower in the crit races and steel can take getting a bit of a bettering whereas carbon cannot. Crash a carbon bike into the railings at speed and you take your chances by riding it again. Crash a steel bike into the railings, you pick it up, get back on and you can do the next race on it no qualms.

Jonny69":31p6iyk5 said:
Genesis made the steel bikes because there is a minimum weight rule in the UCI. You can make a lighter carbon bike but you're not allowed to and Genesis spotted that they could make a steel bike that was 'as good' at that weight. I don't think they are using them in the tours now, but something that sprang to mind, the budgets are lower in the crit races and steel can take getting a bit of a bettering whereas carbon cannot. Crash a carbon bike into the railings at speed and you take your chances by riding it again. Crash a steel bike into the railings, you pick it up, get back on and you can do the next race on it no qualms.
I don't reckon its anything to with the minimum weight rule, that's just coincidental. I think Genesis made a "pro" bike and sponsored a team to crack the British market. Get seen by the public and sell bikes and get them in races and the Carbon racing brigade will consider them too.

A few years ago Genesis were seen as leisure bikes, mainly for touring, now you see racers riding them in winter and in chaingangs.

I'd never heard of Genesis until now. Then again I've only been into racers recently

pigman":hf99771m said:
I don't reckon its anything to with the minimum weight rule, that's just coincidental. I think Genesis made a "pro" bike and sponsored a team to crack the British market. Get seen by the public and sell bikes and get them in races and the Carbon racing brigade will consider them too.

A few years ago Genesis were seen as leisure bikes, mainly for touring, now you see racers riding them in winter and in chaingangs.
It's what they said at the time, but I can't remember where I read it. Whatever the reason, it was great marketing because it clearly put them on the map.

Back