Ladies quality MTB preferably with XT groupset?

I know its not retro but I've converted my old dmr sidekick trials bike into my wife's bike. nice small frame with a ladies saddle and she's happy.

Just saw a second-hand Giant softtail in a small size this afternoon and it had such a sloping top tube being a small size that it was virtually a step through. I was basically like this model only (found a photo of the same model on the net in smaller size to illustrate. Not retro (though I think it was disc only) but another kind of option.

Yukon-FX-Black-White.jpg

461554534.jpg

I actually had an old woman come up to me at Iconoclassic, asking where she could buy my lotus, as she really liked the low step over height. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

In light of that; Lotus?

Re:

Have to say I've never seen one outside of a catalogue; but Cannondale did some mixte-style frames in the M and R series in the late 90's.
R200/300/500 and M 300/400 I think..CAAD2 and CAAD3 tubing, but not with high-end components (STX-level was I think the highest). Nowadays though there is a chance people might have upgraded bits..

My wife had a Specialized Myka sport which is their female specific frame with a shorter top tube. She is 5ft 4 and the 17 inch frame fitted her nicely.

Sure its a modern (2012) bike but had hydraulic disks and decent groupset with a Suntour fork. I sold it last month for £200 to a club member and theres a bunch on ebay at around this price and its worth looking at imho.

Kez0013":3q0ogs5b said:
My wife had a Specialized Myka sport which is their female specific frame with a shorter top tube.

Mykas are amazing bikes.. They don't have the full stepthough-style frame, just a kinked toptube though, which depends on what the OP wants specifically.
Anything with the early 2000's Specialized A1 Alu frame (Myka, Rockhopper) are very light and nice-handling!

Re:

I have been focussing on no suspension bikes as I don't really see the need for trails, tracks & tarmac. We don't downhill or race.

Of course I may be completely wrong as I've never ridden a bike with suspension - hardtail or full-sus - so I don't know for sure. But my guess is that it would be adding weight for no benefit. My dry weather bike weighs in at 11.5kg where as my wife's is a whopping 15kg - pedalling up hills and I do feel guilty. My winter bike weighs 13.5 kg and I know how much of a difference that 2kg makes.

So currently I'm looking for a 17" ally or carbon frame, preferably step through but a sloping top tube would be OK. Prefer Deore XT quality groupset and other quality components, although LX quality may be OK. Happy with a decent set of canti brakes, again such as XT.

However, I really don't have any experience of bikes other than my own. So any advice will be happily taken as I may well have it all wrong!

Back