La Vie Claire Bernard Hinault 753

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
well, i might as well stick my neck out here and claim to be building the bike of my dreams at long last!

most of you will know this bike if you're of a certain vintage :facepalm: and i'm going to attempt to replicate the la vie claire bike of 1986 as closely as i can. the only exceptions will be the gear system, in that i'll use campag record 8 speed and not that dreadful friction set up that nearly cost hinault his manhood many times that season :shock: and my faithful time titan magnesium pedals over the original look pedals.

anyway, humble beginnings and all that jazz - i will keep updating this thread as and when i can afford the next bit towards it, so please be patient!!

753R and T transfers - not the french ones - i have never seen them for sale yet, apart from the ghastly over-purple, blurry repros . .

cinelli cca crown and bb shell - i can't find a non spoiler one for a sensible prices and will be delighted with this is in it's place . .

and it goes without saying . .

:D

Re:

Can't see your pictures :( Looking forward to this one though.

Does HLloyd not do the correct tubing transfers? Catalog numbers are 753R82-89 and 753T82-89...

That's better, all working now :D

Re:

That is a first principles build.

If your going to build a replica you should include the warts.

Re:

or, as it's my time and money, i could build one that i'll be happy with (see above!)

friction gears are for a bygone era, thank you very much!

:shock:

hi rusty been looking forward to this one! seen your wanted ads. be good if you could tell the tales of
how easy or not so you obtained the stuff :) and if you want how much it cost :oops:
i believe gan used time pedals also.

Hinault and La Vie Claire, my favorite era of cycle racing

Please keep us updated on your build

Re:

Remember this bike and the man well. We'd be lucky to get 5/10mins of cycling action on a Sat afternoon bitd. :facepalm:

Re:

Hey there. Great project and really looking forward to this one. My favorite bike of all time.
One quick question though. Why not try to pick up one of the 'originals' by Look? They pop up occasionally on ebay.
Good luck with the build.

Re:

yup, i have seen a few look frames over the years and all from the states - in some state too!! with out exception, too small and too wrecked!

think i'd like a nice new one, thanks .. .

:D

Back