Kris Kross (Herefordshire Fury) - Saturday 21 December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kris Kross (Herefordshire Fury) - Saturday 21 December 2

:facepalm: ( I give up)

I read banter Neil ... Nothing more. Do you really think your being scrutinised to be able to ride? REALLY?!? It's a offroad ride that's been organised, Yes it's got road sections so suited more to a crosser but anyone is welcome of course on whatever they ride.

I do agree that an element of exclusivity appears to creep in to certain pre ride threads. The last time I attempted to sign up the ride was pulled.

This time it does read a bit like jumping through hoops and gaining approval rather than an open to all, Christmas gathering. Perhaps the cross emphasis from the outset was the mistake as this has limited appeal and limits access to/for the general populace. I know it says MTB as well but the thread doesn't read like that.

I have no axe to grind as I have only been on here for less than a year and the rides I attended I have thoroughly enjoyed and have been made to feel welcome. I turned up to the brewery road ride on my Marin (as I'm sure some remember) ffs and thoroughly enjoyed the day. Mayhem and scrap heap, again most sociable.

Perhaps the actual ride vibe occasionally gets lost in translation on here?

Always been fun once you actually get past the machine gun towers and razor wire!

There's good reason every Edwards escapade should be thoroughly exclusive... let him ride alone with his ego, I say!

Are hip flasks de rigueur also?

mrkawasaki":p3ofsbq4 said:
There's good reason every Edwards escapade should be thoroughly exclusive... let him ride alone with his ego, I say!

Ed always has his puppy dave to tag along behind him.jumping at his every command :D

just banter dave, just like the thread

I got a new kettle the other day, it boils really quick. It has lights. It has a filter... Really top notch stuff! The other one just broke so we needed a new one. I wonder how many other people have bought a new kettle recently...

But what does that all mean? Absolutely nothing but it's as insightful as the twatwaffle over the last couple of pages, mine included.

Rewind back a couple of months. I decided I fancied a ride up the local woods, time was short, so I grabbed the first bike to hand. It was a cross bike and off I headed. Magic was in the air, ley lines were matched up or something as I had a cracking time, indeed such a good time that I thought I'd extend matters somewhat by heading up and along the bridleway that snakes across the spine of Marcle Ridge. Stunning is an apt description, with views across to the Malverns on the right and a charming teenager in jodphurs in front (Brian was his name if I recall correctly). Inspired, I returned home, determined to rinse and repeat, which I did the next day (minus Brian).

Having hosted half a dozen offroad local rides over recent years it occurred to me that something different would be good, both in terms of format and route. The genesis of a cross bike ride formed and I discussed with Paul and Dave as National and local AEC; both were positive so I posted up the concept, idly tying it in with seminal kiddie rap and a yuletide motif. Things went well initially with plenty of enthusiasm and then a point of departure was somehow reached, possibly instigated by me, with talk of exclusivity, narrow parameters etc. Bewildering - why I was bothering?

After a period of soul searching (AKA riding the long way back from work), the solution was clear - back to basics and the original premise of the ride. Inclusivity and two "all are welcome" messages didn't seem to have been heard so may as well keep true to the original intention - there are numerous rides for mountain bikes but this one is for cyclocross bikes. Why? Because I am organising it and that's what I want to do. Not happy with that? The answer is simple - organise your own ride and set any parameters you like.

Still want to attend what is surely the first annual Kris Kross (was it Sade Adu who crooned "Never As Good As The First Time"?) without a cyclocross bike? You're more than welcome, it'll be great to have you along and we'll have doubtless have a grand time but the proviso, for everyone, is that you join in with what is being arranged for you rather than state how you want it to be.

Oh yeah, and final point. Banter is supposed to contain an element of wit as without it is just plain abuse. If you're not sure who I'm referring to then drop me a PM although if you have to then the simple answer is that it's you.

The History Man":jt653o2a said:

Grape or grain? Warms the cockles!

The History Man":2oytykd1 said:
The History Man":2oytykd1 said:

Grape or grain? Warms the cockles!

As it's Herefordshire, I think a Flagen of scrumpy would be more appropriate :xmas-wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back