Kona Pahoehoe 2000

Re:

I have to confess that the rapid robs went with the rims onto my wife's 2000 Kona cindercone. I put continental mountain king 2.2's on my mavic ex729 wheels on the pahoehoe. Look better I reckon but also as the thing is too precious to fling about on gnarly rooty trails, the tyres are much of a muchness. Still too grey and rainy to get the pahoehoe out for some photos.
Cindercone awaiting grips but pretty much sorted.

Attachments

• DSC_3888.JPG
    DSC_3888.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 371
Finally got to updating my pahoehoe.
Initially, the first change was swapping mechanical disc brakes (Avid speed dial 5 levers, BB7 callipers) over to some XT 775 hydraulics.
Secondly and quite recently, I decided to swap over the drivetrain from 3x9 to 1x10. This matches my other bikes I still have so it makes swapping wheel sets so much easier.
The pahoehoe is still quite a weighty beast at 13.2kg, given it has an Easton frame the same as the kula from 2000. However, I do like my comforts such as the Sonoma BG 155 saddle, the solidity of the wide mavic rims (EX729) and it still has the original marzocchi forks.
3x9 set up was XT 770 series with Blackspire superpro rings
1x10 set up is a race face ride crankset with Blackspire snaggletooth oval 36T with XT 771 11-36 cassette. No need for a chain guide as I got a XT derailleur (786) with a clutch.
Overall, very happy with the setup for now. Will have to wait until the current lockdown ends to see if my calves can cope with the gearing on proper hills. Suffolk is largely bereft of them.

Attachments

• pahoehoe 3-21a.jpg
    pahoehoe 3-21a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
  • pahoehoe 3-21b.jpg
    pahoehoe 3-21b.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 138
  • pahoehoe 10-20b.jpg
    pahoehoe 10-20b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • pahoehoe 10-20a.jpg
    pahoehoe 10-20a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
Snap! I have one of these too, sadly no where near as nice as yours. Mine is battle scarred for sure so I dare not show it on here!

All the black kit and 1x10 complement the silver frame and decals so well. Good job.

Mine may be on its way soon as it rides just a wee bit too soft for me which for an alloy bike is a compliment but I want the proper kick of a stiff alu hardtail. They handle really well though.

It is indeed in good nick; I was a wee bit traumatised to find a few marks that were hidden by the previous outer blackspire chainring. Last weekend I swapped out the monkey bars for some easton xc lite composite bars and a thomson 10 deg rise stem. Still debating whether to try it with some fox f series 100 forks instead of the 80mm bombers. I might regret it. Forgot to grab a photo.

I missed this one first time around, turned it up whilst looking for some inspiration. I like your choice of slightly newer components, great looking build.

Back