Kona O Beam seatposts, how many different versions?

swannymere

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So, i've been looking for a Kona Titanium seat post for a while and it's come to my attention that there are two different versions out there. Are they both correct or has one type been stickered up incorrectly? Is one the Ti version and one the Alloy version?

1742274_clrkcczxbxo3_v_medium_ad29d5006fa768c9d010d36fe90fc9aec128b09d.jpg

o-beam-jpg.49653

p5pb16192071.jpg

Thanks for any help assisting in my ignorance. BTW the last image was recently used to try and scam me, so beware.

Can I ask who tried to scam you? Ebay?
I was under the impression there are the titanium and alloy versions but I'm sure someone will confirm either way

The two bottom ones are basic Kalloy seatpost (or whoever made them JP etc?) that Kona used as o-beams.
But they are of Kalloy design.

Middle earlyer 90s, bottom mid to late 90s, style changed a bit.. before they added the IRD Quad2 (again another Kalloy post iirc) in about 99/00?
The Ti had long since been swapped out for a good solid Syncros black post.

The top one is the old proper post in Ti, should be 27.2

(the last two kalloy are actually great posts)

Last edited:
I suppose I should add, I was waiting for someone that really knew these posts, so if anyone can correct.

The top is a 1993 Ti O-Beam made in some USA place, 27.2 only.
In 1994 the middle design was used and did have a Ti version available, would be 27.0 (still likely made by Kalloy) The one pictured on is good old Aluminium.

Before that in 1992 the Ti and Alu O-Beam had layback and a twin bolt at the back.

I do not know if the later microadjust was made with a Ti tubed version or not. That bottom later ones tube does looks Ti, it's worn away and doesn't seem gone to the silver colour that I would expect if it was just a bit of colouring.

You can generally tell when you have it to hand.

Last edited:
Apologies for jumping in on this thread but i to have been looking for a Ti O beam. I was also sent the bottom picture by the scammer from here. I reported it to the admin on the forum

Back