Kona Lava Dome 1993 - Now Completed 24.01.09

Looking to get my '93 Explosif resprayed by Argos in the original two tone colours which are actually silver and a very dark blue. Well at least the tatty paint on my frame is very dark blue, although I have to admit it does look black in the catalogue.

I think you should keep the two tone look as this was my favourite Kona year and you don't seem to see many two tone Kona's around.

If you go for painted finish at Argos, try ask if they have 'two pack' colours, it's stronger paint finish than the standard one, more durable but they only have a limited colours out of 'two pack' though.

Is the bike for off road riding or tarmac riding? if you going to use it alot off road riding, standard paint finish will chip easily with stones hitting the frame, if it's tarmac riding, you should be ok with it.

Thanks for the paint advice / suggestions folks.

I've been thinking about the finish since I started collecting bits for the re-build and have considered all sorts of colours/combos, but keep coming back to simple silver... so I reckon I'm gunna stick with that!

The bike will definitely be used off-road... :D

Dropped the frame / stem / forks off at Bob Jackson's today.

Had a good look at all of the colour/finish samples (they look very different compared to how they look on my computer screen) and I've had a last minute change of colour choice to 'Grigio' metallic.

They're also going to fill a small dent in the chain-stay with brass and test one of the decals (I had a spare) in the oven before applying the rest of them to the frame - some decals can spoil when baked under the lacquer apparently...

Looking forward to getting it back in a few weeks!

Got the frame back this afternoon. Really pleased! :D

main.php

Gil_m's decals were fine under the lacquer.

Hoping to get it built up early Jan...

Cool :cool:

Always nice when the frame comes back all fresh from the painters! Just don't do what I seem to do all the time and drop some heavy tool onto the paint before you've even ridden it ;)

It'll look the nuts with all those shiny NOS silver bits for sure.. Look forward to seeing 'im finished :)

The box of bits is now starting to look more like a bike...

main.php

Originally tried a 26.6mm shim for the 25.0mm seatpost, but this was too tight and the post wouldn't fit in fully. I ended up swapping it for 26.4mm and it now fits just right.

Mechs and cantis still to be fitted, then it'll be off to the LBS for the final set-up. :D

Latest posts

Back