Kona Kilauea 1994 Frame Rescue!

mk one":333u52qm said:
I think its more that they sit proud of the dropout, instead of being part of it like the original ones, if that makes sense.

It does yes, very different design. Almost as if they want you to cut them off :D

Another little update, decals arrived from Gil and I made a start on the matching forks.

BmNcmBA.jpg

tsOYRgC.jpg

000WuO3.jpg

Fork lowers came out well. Frame not so much-its the 2nd frame i've done with Spray.bike, the first being my daughters which came out fantastic. This one didn't- very orange peely and rough. i've admitted defeat and sent it for powder. It might not be an exact colour match with the forks anymore but never mind.

6Kwvhwv.jpg

C5bpQ8n.jpg

Re:

If it's not already departed I'd lightly sand and top-coat the frame. Basing this on rattle-can experience of painting a m/cycle tank and side panels. I did many coats, flatting each with fine paper. Then, scuffed it gently using a grey Scotch pad. Applied decals. Took it to a local car spray shop, lobbed them £30 or so to 2K top-coat it and it looks a million dollars it really does. The finish is tough as nails too.
This is what I'll be doing with my 'Dale project when it gets warmer.

Re: Re:

TreaderSteve":5uzz1g72 said:
If it's not already departed I'd lightly sand and top-coat the frame. Basing this on rattle-can experience of painting a m/cycle tank and side panels. I did many coats, flatting each with fine paper. Then, scuffed it gently using a grey Scotch pad. Applied decals. Took it to a local car spray shop, lobbed them £30 or so to 2K top-coat it and it looks a million dollars it really does. The finish is tough as nails too.
This is what I'll be doing with my 'Dale project when it gets warmer.

Thanks for this. Alas, it went to the coaters same day. Thanks for your input- i hate painting and actually never bothered until my daughter wanted a different colour on her bike last year, i gave it another chance. I used spray.bike and it was fantastic. This time however it went a bit wrong. Never again, i just don't think its worth the time! Back to powdercoating for any projects.

You might be able to advise on another thing though, i'll be adding the decals to the frame when i get it back. In the past i've left them bare, but i'm thinking of adding lacquer over these... wondering whether to mask around the decals or just spray over the top and hope the edges are'nt visible?

Back