Kona Hot 1993 18"

Re:

Well done Jez!

Your new old Hot I think is a few numbers earlier than my 93' (mine's TET 40:cool:

My build has been paused due to work but will be reviving it soon.

Update!

Frame arrived (import duty cost me £66 quid so not too bad when the frame was about £200 and came with a kona post and a period Xt chainset with rings). Arrived in about a week from the states which was excellent for an Ebay sale.

Frame is in pretty great condition considering - the paint is actually salvageable - the rust on the head tube cleaned off really easily so I "could" paint this with some silver and salvage it if I wanted to keep it original. Bottom bracket is more of a problem and will need some effort to get out as the cups have sheared off.

The colour scheme despite original (silver and blue for a 1993) is blinkin' boring though so I have decided to get it powder coated after all in a simple RAL mint/blue colour. Nothing to flamboyant really. The sprayers have promised a week turnaround and have also said they'll remove the BB for a good price. The frame is being sent tomorrow.

Gil has bee contacted regarding decals and should have these on order soon.

Have started to source components - all would be period correct 1992/1993.

- Black Flite
- Control tech post
- Xt and m900 XTR brakes and groupset with xc pro shifters
- Ritchey tyres (black walled)
- Raceface silver cranks

Just need a headset and stem (want a 120mm Syncros quill in black with rise if poss), a fork (thinking Manitou 3 or a Mag 20 now rather than a P2) and m900 or early Xt mechs. I also need the seat collar and also cable guide - these can be sourced on Ebay but reluctant to pay £25 for one when you can pick up entire Kona's for 100 quid.

Keeping to a budget but you know how things go.... this will soon spiral out of control if i score any bling. Black Grafton Speed controllers would be rather nice.

I'll post some pics of the state it's in at the moment.

Latest posts

Back